X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Super Powers series three arrival...

Got the newest set last night. Mostly good, but some of the usual problems that I think we can all assume by now will never be fixed:

J'Onn J'Onzz, Manhunter from Mars:good job on the costume, and nice to have him in the proper green (green skinned heroes and baddies have a tendency to be emerald green in so many cases as action figures). The cape collar is a bit wonky, but no more so than it likely would have been in the Mego days. The head sculpt looks great, as usual, but it is huge, and it looks even worse given the bare chest, If anything, it should have been slightly undersized to look right. It's obvious that figures from FTC will be a crap shoot as to whether or not the head is bulbous, and it's basically gotten to the point where it's a proven fact that FTC doesn't care or have any intention of addressing the problem in any way. I got multiples of Green Lantern because he was actually done correctly, and would have done the same for J'Onn without hesitation. The sculpt is a great, classic interpretation of the character from the Bronze Age, if only it wasn't scaled for a Big Jim figure. Mr. J'Onzz is one of my all time favorite characters, and this came so close to being a great version of him; it's really aggravating that a company with access to modern molding technology somehow can;t do something Mego did with few exceptions decades ago. It's inexcusable.

Plastic Man: Plas' head is a bit big, but not as bad or quite as noticeable as J'Onn's, mainly because it tapers as it heads for the chin. Again, the sculpt is near perfect, capturing the whimsical nature of the character. The costume has a couple problems, namely keeping it from slipping off his shoulders. It's partly due to the design, which is accurate to the comics, but a simple piece of clear, soft plastic, something I've seen used on other figures with clothes-staying-put issues, would have kept everything in place. Truthfully, a simple dab from a glue stick would have done it, as well, but would have meant removing the suit even once would bring back the problem. This really was one time when giving the figure tights would have worked better for the character, so I'm actually using the lower part of a Tarzan bodysuit under his costume. Once the proper adjustments are made, though, he looks pretty darn good.

The Flash: Again, big head problem, but not too bad. Again, annoying, as the head is otherwise another near perfect representation of the hero. THey are nailing the likenesses almost every time, but the scale is all over the place. The costume is well done, thee lightning bolts nice and clean and clear, but the one thing that bothers me is the way the suit is put together. Flash doesn't have trunks, and yet he does here. I understand they couldn't put him together the same as Captain Marvel because of the lightning belt, but a single piece bodysuit with arms attached as they are here would have. It would have meant seams down the sides of the suit, bulking it a little, but with the slightly big head, that might not have been a bad thing. The only other thing I might have liked was for him to have red hands under the gloves, for those who might want a more classic Mego look.

Green Lantern: Hal looks great. His head is almost perfect in sculpt and scale; the back of his head might have benefited from a little more head (back to front, it's a little thin), but that's an extremely minor quibble. It doesn't fit into the body quite right, though, and the neck seems at an odd angle almost making him look down, but I'll take that over cerebral swelling any time. The costume is well put together, though I wish the turtle neck part was a little tighter. The '66 style gloves work well here, though they are a bit at odds with the classic Mego style boots. My main thought here is that sleeve cuffs and white hands would have fit in better with Green Arrow, but it still looks good. He's my favorite of the bunch because, well, he's Hal, but also because he's what I'd hoped all the figures would be: proportional.

It's a good set overall, but the continuing head issues are really dimming my enthusiasm for FTC's offerings. There are other minor issues, but nothing that turns me off like the huge noggins, because NOTHING cam fix them aside from a new head...
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I skipped these since I already have them in Mattel form except Plas. Its amazing that they can't get the heads right after all this time.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Would love to see pics if possible. If what you are saying about MM is true I am thinking Acetone dunk.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
        Radioactive!
        • Feb 13, 2010

For my Plastic Man, I removed the head and suit and transferred them to a non-Fist Fighters body. The suit now fits perfectly. The head is slightly oversized, but I can accept it due to the stretchy nature of Plas.

Comment

• jeffbearco
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2011

I could tell by the prototype pictures that one of my favorite characters, Martian Manhunter, was going to be a pass. That head looked HUGE there and from what you said, is still HUGE! I'll pass.

I'm hoping they get Wonder Woman right in her wave, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope at this point after seeing how Batgirl turned out.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
            For my Plastic Man, I removed the head and suit and transferred them to a non-Fist Fighters body. The suit now fits perfectly. The head is slightly oversized, but I can accept it due to the stretchy nature of Plas.
            I did the same with two of the four (guess which one I definitely can't switch yet ). I think the fist fighter body does make the shoulder slipping on the Plas costume worse, so I may switch him out when I get more spare bodies (just ordered a few extras from CTVT). Still debating on how to approach a more Mego version of GL; figure either white Mr. Fantastic gloves or seeing if I can find a white material similar enough to Green Arrow's green glove tops to go with some white hands. One of my extra Hal's needs to go with the classic Mego DC repros, but the new gloves would definitely stick out there.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
              Radioactive!
              • Feb 13, 2010

Some quick photos of Plastic Man after the switch to a non-Fist Fighters body

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

Is there no snap on the back of Plas' costume? The other Fist Fighters had them on their costumes.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                  Radioactive!
                  • Feb 13, 2010

Nope, no snap on the back of his costume.

Comment

• darkbros
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by scott metzger
                    Got the newest set last night. Mostly good, but some of the usual problems that I think we can all assume by now will never be fixed:

Plastic Man: Plas' head is a bit big, but not as bad or quite as noticeable as J'Onn's, mainly because it tapers as it heads for the chin. Again, the sculpt is near perfect, capturing the whimsical nature of the character. The costume has a couple problems, namely keeping it from slipping off his shoulders. It's partly due to the design, which is accurate to the comics, but a simple piece of clear, soft plastic, something I've seen used on other figures with clothes-staying-put issues, would have kept everything in place. Truthfully, a simple dab from a glue stick would have done it, as well, but would have meant removing the suit even once would bring back the problem. This really was one time when giving the figure tights would have worked better for the character, so I'm actually using the lower part of a Tarzan bodysuit under his costume. Once the proper adjustments are made, though, he looks pretty darn good.

So it sounds like I'll keep my Mattel Retros a little longer....!
                    I was thinking a Flesh Colored Bodysuit from either FTC or DOC would be the best thing for Plas,
                    glad to see that was the case....so I'll keep that in mind when I place my order...
                    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

I kinda wish GL had a power battery accessory.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by ScottA
                        I kinda wish GL had a power battery accessory.
                        Would have been good, but power batteries shouldn't be hard to come by. The Mattel 8" figures used the same ones as the DC Classics 6" figures, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick an extra lantern up. I grabbed a cheap John Stewart 8" off ebay to take the head and stick it on an FTC Lantern costumed body, and the power battery with him is in Hal's hand as we speak.

Something like that would be a good thing to add to the list if FTC does an accessory pack like the Batman '66 one for the general DC line, though. And you'd get at least two batteries out of it with a yellow version for Sinestro (and we know he's coming at least in the Super Friends line, and very likely in the main DC line). A nice power ring fist would be welcome, as well.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if there are any good Martian Manhunter heads out there to fix the evils of the massive head. I made a custom MM figure, but ended up using CTVT's bald head. It is OK, but doesn't have the large forehead or any of the other features that are in the current incarnations of the character.

I actually love the makeup they are doing on MM in the Supergirl TV show. It is good to see them finally do the character justice.

JeffBearCO
                          Last edited by jeffbearco; Mar 23, '16, 9:35 AM.

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                            I wonder if there are any good Martian Manhunter heads out there to fix the evils of the massive head. I made a custom MM figure, but ended up using CTVT's bald head. It is OK, but doesn't have the large forehead or any of the other features that are in the current incarnations of the character.

JeffBearCO
                            The versions we're getting here are definitely Silver Age/Bronze Age, and J'Onn lost the thick brow from the Golden Age in the 60's up through the Mego era, so a regular green, bald head is actually the way his noggin looked back then. His heavy brow didn't return until later in the 70's or early 80's.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by scott metzger
                              The versions we're getting here are definitely Silver Age/Bronze Age, and J'Onn lost the thick brow from the Golden Age in the 60's up through the Mego era, so a regular green, bald head is actually the way his noggin looked back then. His heavy brow didn't return until later in the 70's or early 80's.
                              But aren't these supposed to be mego-styled versions of the old Kenner Super Powers? If so he needs that brow. There is a shrink of the DC 9" version floating around that didn't look too bad to me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎