X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MeerkatMego
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 7, 2007

Haircut for molded hair

I have a Doctor Who Leela figure with molded hair. I like the face on the figure, but the hair is too long. Need to shorten it to bob style cut. Has anyone attempted this? I'm guessing a dremel would be best for cutting and shaping it down. Then repaint it.

Any thoughts?
    Meerkat Mego
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

While I'm not familiar with the head you are working on, I will assume it has hair sculpted with details of strand design (as opposed to cartoon style that is only a smooth shape). Perhaps after dremeling you will need to use a hobby knife to cut the strand design into the hair. For this, I recommend a hobby table vice (rubber clamp) to hold the head as you cut into it. Holding the head in one hand while using a knife to cut the strand design with the other hand, may very well result in cutting your fingers.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

I have done this before... and it can be a bit dicey. With a resin head, when you trim away, there is something underneath. With a rotocast head, once you trim away the hair, you will have an air gap with nothing underneath to mold upon. If you want to give it a go, though, use an air dry clay or an epoxy... something that you can sculpt with that does not need to bake. Pack the head with clay. This helps it keep its shape, and makes it easier to sculpt upon. I agree with the good Doctor on using a hobby knife. I would chip away at the hair a little at a time... especially while you are trying to figure how thick the vinyl head goes and where the air pockets lie.

If you have an option between pretty good and retain the original vinyl, vs. cut it off and sculpt it back, I'd err on the side of retaining as much of the original head as you can. However, vinyl takes particularly well to super glue. So if you have a nice feature, you just want to "move it", or even if you just mess up... you may want to see if you can Frankenstein it back together. Then you just use your clay or epoxy to finish off the rough edges.

When it works well, it has a really nice effect, because it still looks like a rotocast head. Of course, other times it can go poorly, and you just ruin a perfectly good head. Good luck!

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

Super glue hint: After your first use, return cap, place in an air tight container and place into a freezer. Next time you want to use it, take out of freezer and allow to warm to room temp. Use. Then replace cap, air tight container and return to freezer. Your super glue will last to the end without drying in the tube.
        Super glue kicker: When looking for a quicker setting for super glue, don't waist your money on special products. Nothing sets super glue, like heat and moisture. Spay bottle of warm water.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
          Super glue hint: After your first use, return cap, place in an air tight container and place into a freezer. Next time you want to use it, take out of freezer and allow to warm to room temp. Use. Then replace cap, air tight container and return to freezer. Your super glue will last to the end without drying in the tube.
          Super glue kicker: When looking for a quicker setting for super glue, don't waist your money on special products. Nothing sets super glue, like heat and moisture. Spay bottle of warm water.
          Very cool. I need to try that freezer tip.

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Very cool superglue tip.
            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Or you can make a mold and pour a wax cast, work on that wax cast, make a new mold and then pour a liquid resin cast. But that's too much work. If rubbery, go at it with an exacto and resculpt with air dry epoxy. If resin cast go at it with a dremel and resculpt the ends with an air dry epoxy.
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• MeerkatMego
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 7, 2007

Thanks, folks. This should help.
                Meerkat Mego

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢