X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Bendable sculpey

Not that I'm planning to do this, but I didn't know they made sculpey that's flexible after it's baked. Does it work on head molds? Has anyone done that before?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I use it for tails and other bendable stuff. You can mold it around a wire so it can be bent to hold a pose.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

Tbolt, can this be used for Mego "hands" that could grip?

Hardygirl, what's that material called? Is the name of it bendable sculpey?
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
        Formerly known as Del
        • Dec 12, 2004

I've seen it listed as Sculpy Superflex or Sculpy Bake-n-Bend. The only thing that irks me about it is that around here, you have to buy it as a multi-pack with 7 basic colors, and not a single block of one color, like the regular Sculpy.
        You could use it for bendy hands, but have fun getting those wires into the tiny parts. Once you get the hang of that, it would be pretty cool.
        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

I got some as a donation to my classroom. It's Bake & Bend and in a multi-pack, unopened. I was just thinking that maybe I'd keep it for myself.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

Can you Boil it ? ... I dislike Baking.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>Can you Boil it ? ... I dislike Baking.

But... baking seals in the flavour....

I've been looking for a good flexible material myself. (I need it for the alien's tail.) Smooth-On made some good stuff.... that I can't remember what it was called now. I used it for some squishy Micronaut helmets. It worked real well, didn't stick to the silicone molds, and took colour. The helmets are still squishy too; and I made 'em ten years ago.

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I've boiled it, BK. As for Hands, I don't think it would take the abuse. The big thing I've noticed with it is don't over bake it, or it gets crumbly. I've done a couple tails with it molded around wire armatures that have come out great. And yeah the multipack thing is annoying. I have several bricks of green and one brick left of red and black.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                  Formerly known as Del
                  • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by ctc
                  >Can you Boil it ? ... I dislike Baking.
                  Smooth-On made some good stuff.... that I can't remember what it was called now. I used it for some squishy Micronaut helmets. It worked real well, didn't stick to the silicone molds, and took colour. The helmets are still squishy too; and I made 'em ten years ago.

Don C.
                  Was it squishy like foam, or was it more rubbery? I could possibly use this instead of Plasti-Dip, as it's getting hard to find in the colors I need, and the shipping gets a little expensive to buy those cans online. You said it takes color. What kind of paint/dye did you use? I need some stuff for some 12" scale flexible headgear.
                  Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                  https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                  http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>Was it squishy like foam, or was it more rubbery?

Like soft rubber. The Space Glider helmets have a tendency to crack, so I wanted soft ones. I'd heard that the very first release of the figures in japan had colour co-ordinated helmets, and wanted some of that, too.

>What kind of paint/dye did you use?

Smooth-On sells plastic dye. They had the stuff I used. It's a huge pain to use though: gets everywhere if you're not careful. Plus, you get a fair amount of the stuff, and use incredibly small amounts. (I haven't tested mine to see if they're still good or not.)

>I need some stuff for some 12" scale flexible headgear.

Might work. I forced it into molds when I used it. (For squishy helmets, hands and a few Mego heads.) It's kinda thick; maybe like runny jam, so you'd need some sort of pressure system to get it to fill the small/pointy/thin parts.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎