X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smonte00
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 19, 2005

DC Retro Action Head Removal

Hi, I know this had to have been covered in some capacity here, but I couldn't find the thread. What's the best way to remove the heads on the DC Retro Action figs? I would like to try to keep the bodies intact if at all possible.

Also, with respect to the bodies themselves, has anybody restrung them or something so that they're not all flabby?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by smonte00
    Hi, I know this had to have been covered in some capacity here, but I couldn't find the thread. What's the best way to remove the heads on the DC Retro Action figs? I would like to try to keep the bodies intact if at all possible.

Also, with respect to the bodies themselves, has anybody restrung them or something so that they're not all flabby?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    Thank you Steve! I used a hammer to bust the torso into pieces. Worked real good! Why no, I never considered restringing em. Still have the pieces.

Comment

• Riderfan
      Megos are cool
      • Feb 14, 2012

Oh this has been covered, but after the 'crash' awhile ago the search function doesn't work as well as it used to.

I've done several, and the 'boil & pop' method to remove the head has always worked for me. Others claim they have damaged the neck plug doing this-maybe their water wasn't hot enough, or maybe Mattel had different production runs that were put together different. But I've had no issues.

As for bodies, kept mine for awhile, then into the trash they went.

Hope this helps

K
      I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• smonte00
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 19, 2005

Thanks for the tips. I finally got the head out. I had to destroy the body, though. What a piece of junk. How did Mattel let this design get out into the market? Oh well, I guess I gotta start buying up some mego bodies! Thanks again.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

The bodies are junk, but I was able to remove a Lex Luthor head by boiling hot water in a bowl or cup, then putting the head in the hot water for about a minute or two and got it soft enough to pull off and save the body, (why) I'll never know. But I did transfer the head and clothing onto a Green Arrow mego body, and then
          picked up repro window box and it looks great.

Comment

• smonte00
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 19, 2005

Yeah, I love the costumes, hate the bodies.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
              One eyed, wonder
              • Dec 17, 2009

When I tried the boil and pop method, the neck-plug stem streched to the point I thought it would rip the plug off. The plugs on these heads are much wider that the normal Mego/reMego style plugs. I'm gonna stick with the hammer method, since I value the parts and outfits far more than the bodies.
              Last edited by dr_cyclops; Feb 5, '16, 9:55 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Channel lock pliers are a lot less messy than a hammer. right below the arms.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

The only technique I could find that reduced the wobbles was to stuff cotton into the pelvic space to cut down on the rocking. It helps them stand better and reduces the looseness of the legs but it's not a cure all. The design on the legs is so bad, you really have to construct a new system (possibly even use a different pelvic piece) to apply a more permanent fix, if you're wanting to keep the torso and legs.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

I have found that if I boil the heck out of the whole body I can pry the chest apart enough to pull the head right out. I have found uses for the arms and legs, but the chest and pelvis not so much.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by smonte00
                      "Also, with respect to the bodies themselves, has anybody restrung them or something so that they're not all flabby?"
                      http://megomuseum.com/community/show...epair-Tutorial

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                        One eyed, wonder
                        • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Channel lock pliers are a lot less messy than a hammer. right below the arms.
                        Well now, that's just good to know. Can I still wear my safty glasses?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                          Well now, that's just good to know. Can I still wear my safty glasses?
                          you sure ought to. I have to wear reading glasses to do anything up close so I'm covered.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I guess I'm pretty lazy: I just crush open the body with heavy pliers and pluck out the head.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I guess I'm pretty lazy: I just crush open the body with heavy pliers and pluck out the head.
                              that's what I do, less messy than a hammer like Dr. Cyclops.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎