X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

Fabric Glue?

I'm trying to avoid sewing at all costs. Anyone use fabric glue and is there a type they(you) recommend?
  • Carmelkettle
    Museum Patron
    • May 26, 2015

Originally posted by MysteryWho
    I'm trying to avoid sewing at all costs. Anyone use fabric glue and is there a type they(you) recommend?
    I've looked into this and from all the information I've come across, no glue will provide the same results as even a poor sewing job. Glue reacts differently on different fabric; can be gloppy, uneven, harden in places you don't want it to harden, messy when applied, probably get glue places you don't want glue, etc. There are some things I REALLY want made, but other than trying it myself or finding a custom tailor, from what I've read sewing is the best option. There are youtube videos of doll customizers using glue to make clothing, but I think those clothes are mainly for display, sit it once and leave it, not changing outfits or re-positioning (play)

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

even if you stick a piece of fabric onto another the glue seeps through and leaves a dark mark unless it's say pvc on lycra.

Comment

• mike69
        Museum Super Collector
        • May 4, 2011

I wouldn't use it. I did once and it created dark areas. Plus the glue makes the material stiff.

Comment

• ZMOQ
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jun 1, 2010

I agree with all of the replies. The only real use I have for fabric glue is to stop fraying on the raw edge of the fabric. Otherwise, stitching with thread is far more reliable, stronger, more flexible and better-looking than any fabric glue. And you can remove the stitches anytime to replace parts, make modifications, etc.

As mentioned by others, there are several disadvantages with glue:

1) the glue seeps through the cloth, leaving a dark spot that cannot be washed out or removed.
          2) glue is not strong enough for, say, connecting a sleeve to a shirt or anything that will take any pull in opposite directions.
          3) glue makes the fabric stiff at the seams. That's an advantage for miniature leather belts where you thread it through the belt buckle, but for clothing, it's a negative.
          4) glue doesn't even work on cotton/polyester blends or synthetics. I tried it for hats and it was a disaster.

It's really best to learn how to sew, even if it's by hand. If you can get access to a sewing machine, the results are nicer. You don't even need to use the foot pedal or electricity. You can simply turn the hand wheel (the big wheel on the right side of the sewing machine) manually so the machine will stitch very slowly for better control.

I have never been able to sew miniature sleeves into the sleeve holes using a machine, so all of my sleeve stitches are done by hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

The bleed thru doesn't always happen, I've used it quite a bit with no problem. Always test it on a scrap piece before use. It works best on cotton blends, even lycra cotton. I prefer it for hemming trunks over stitching them as it looks a lot better. Unique Stitch is the one I prefer.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

Cool, thanks guys. I was planning to use it to stick some lasermego trek insignia to the shirts, that should work because it won't be visible. But clearly it can look poor depending on the nature of the project, so it seems sewing of some sort may be unavoidable.

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

Cool, thanks guys. I was planning to use it to stick some lasermego trek insignia to the shirts, that should work because it won't be visible. But clearly it can look poor depending on the nature of the project, so it seems sewing of some sort may be unavoidable.
                it's really stringy too .lasermego stickers peel off so you shouldn't need to use anything.

Comment

• Carmelkettle
                  Museum Patron
                  • May 26, 2015

OHH, I thought you meant for making costumes, not adding insignia. In that case most any basic glue would work - Elmers, fabric-tac, etc. I use stick glue as it won't harm or discolor just about anything, washes out, and is 'dry' so there is no mess.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                    Permanent Member
                    • Mar 7, 2011

I used fabric glue with Success on this Cape to put the yellow trim on.

Aleens fabric glue

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Nosferatu's coat is all fabric glue

and Harley's costume is all fabric glue
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Marvelmania
                        A Ray of Sunshine
                        • Jun 17, 2001

In the past I used Fabri-tac with great success without any bleeding or dark spots. You just have to use a small amount.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Those look sweet, came out very nice, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎