• BubbleGumFink
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jun 16, 2006

Doctor Who Cancelled

Here's the dirt.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I'll believe it when i see it, the show is gaining a popularity not seen. While Davies is a positive force for the show, he's not the BBC or the CBC for that matter....
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Davies might leave-- that very well could be true........ But he doesn't own it.
      If there's money to be made by it's continuation without him, you can be sure it will go on.
      It actually might be a blessing to see Davies gone.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

One other thing I was thinking of ......

If they average 13 episodes per season, that comes out to be around 55-ish episode total (including the Christmas specials) ......... Not sure if that's enough episodes to go into proper syndication...
        In US terms, 55 episodes are like only 2 seasons of a show.

Comment

• Surfsup
          Silver Chrome Dome
          • Dec 2, 2005

I don't think God's going to help you, I reckon he's a fan, otherwise it wouldn't have come back in the first place .

I'm all for RTD going and the BBC getting another production team if need be, it could work out as a blessing in disguise.

If RTD thinks that will lead to the show being cancelled then he's dreaming big time! As Mike said, the show is one of the BBC's biggest hits so there's no way it will go.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Why do you constantly poop on New Series talk threads, Rob ?

Ok, you don't like it....... but get a life, buddy..

Your song is getting a little old------ or haven't you figured that out yet.....

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by type1kirk
              Why do you constantly poop on New Series talk threads, Rob ?

Ok, you don't like it....... but get a life, buddy..

Your song is getting a little old------ or haven't you figured that out yet.....
              I know nothing about Dr. Who, I just read this post to see what it's all about...

Anyway, I do have to say that I can appreciate Rob's POV on the subject... He's a hard-core fan of what he likes and there's nothing wrong with that...
              Actually, I feek the same way about APES... There's just some things I wouldn't appreciate as far as APES goes, so I know what Rob's talking about...

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>The difference between fans of Dr Who and its remake is similar to a twitcher (bird watcher) and a shooter.

Now; HERE'S the problem. A lot of us don't see the difference. You're talking about a show wherein a guy travelled time and space in a telephone booth that's bigger on the inside than out; he meets all sorts of improbable aliens that oddly enough speak English; and when he dies his body regrows.

And suddenly they've added something that takes away from the authenticity and realism of the show....? For the life of me I don't see what. Not that there couldn't be something I've missed, but you're really gonna hafta walk me through it. It'd help a great deal if you could pick specific examples form the new episodes; and illustrate just where the terminal disconnect is.

Don C.

Comment

• YANOULI
                  Part-Time Timelord
                  • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                  >

he meets all sorts of improbable aliens that oddly enough speak English; and when he dies his body regrows.

Don C.
                  just to clarify a couple of points, the aliens don't actually speak english, the Tardis telepathically translates what everyone hears into their own language.

The Doctor and other Timelords don't die before regenerating, they regenerate to prevent death.
                  When their bodies die they are dead forever, no matter how many regenerations they have left.

But i agree with you Don, where is the evidence of what Rob says?

I can't work out why he berates the new Who yet totally embraces the Cushing movies which are blatant remakes.
                  " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

The one thing I like about the new series more than anything else, is it's not paced so SLOW as the classic series.

I love the classic series, but i'm not afraid to admit--- 99% of it is just talking heads speaking technobabble... at a snails pace.

The new series, call it Americanized or not.... just moves faster and that makes it easier to watch.... It not so much of a chore.

Here's an example,
                    One of my favourite classic stories is Terror of the Autons.
                    A "meh" story is Daleks in Manhatten/Evolution---

Both stories are the same length.......
                    But to me, "Daleks", even though it's a "meh" story is still much easier to watch.

Terror, though I love it MORE than "Daleks" --- will put me to sleep if im not careful

Same with "Genesis"
                    Genesis was GREAT, but I dare anyone to watch it at 1 in the morning

M

Comment

• danadoll
                      Micronaut Nut!
                      • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by YANOULI
                      just to clarify a couple of points, the aliens don't actually speak english, the Tardis telepathically translates what everyone hears into their own language.

The Doctor and other Timelords don't die before regenerating, they regenerate to prevent death.
                      When their bodies die they are dead forever, no matter how many regenerations they have left.

But i agree with you Don, where is the evidence of what Rob says?

I can't work out why he berates the new Who yet totally embraces the Cushing movies which are blatant remakes.

Exactly...Rob is being pigheaded and his argument has no foundation. He has offered no proof that the new series is a remake, other than him stamping his feet and saying it is so.

The new Who is a continuation of the old series(as many of us have said before)...He doesn't see it, only because he doesn't want to.

Dana
                      Last edited by danadoll; Jun 3, '07, 9:53 AM.
                      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>the aliens don't actually speak english, the Tardis telepathically translates what everyone hears into their own language.

...and makes you think everyone's lips are moving in sync with what you THINK they're saying... Yeah; that's a LOT more plausible!

But the real point is; you don't care when you watch. You're entertained enought that you'll accept pretty much any explanation offered. Nothing wrong with that. I find I really start questioning when I'm NOT entertained by a show.

>But i agree with you Don, where is the evidence of what Rob says?

Well.... maybe not so much evidence as explanation. He hates the new show. Cool. You don't have to like everything that comes out. But I can't fathom his reasoning as to why. The old one was science-FICTION, the new science-FANTASY.... Form where I sit; the two shows really aren't any different with respect to plausibility. Some of the themes and characterization are different; but that has nothing to do with the science part of things. (Unless you want to say having the Doc dating is MORE realistic since all organisms have an inherent need for reproduction and companionship...)

>Rob is being pig-headed and his argument has no foundation. He has offered no proof that the new series is a remake, other than him stamping his feet and saying it is so.

That's how it seems to a lot of folks; probably 'cos our viewpoint is so... er... alien to his. That's why I'd like a step by step through some solid examples. To see where he's coming from.

No matter what; it's all opinion, so there isn't a "right" answer. Just a number of differing points of view.

Don C.

Comment

• danadoll
                          Micronaut Nut!
                          • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
                          Well.... maybe not so much evidence as explanation. He hates the new show. Cool. You don't have to like everything that comes out. But I can't fathom his reasoning as to why. The old one was science-FICTION, the new science-FANTASY.... Form where I sit; the two shows really aren't any different with respect to plausibility.
                          The classic Who and new Who are both science fiction and science fantasy. The new series has as much real science as the classic series did (if not more).

Originally posted by ctc
                          Some of the themes and characterization are different; but that has nothing to do with the science part of things. (Unless you want to say having the Doc dating is MORE realistic since all organisms have an inherent need for reproduction and companionship...)

>Rob is being pig-headed and his argument has no foundation. He has offered no proof that the new series is a remake, other than him stamping his feet and saying it is so.

That's how it seems to a lot of folks; probably 'cos our viewpoint is so... er... alien to his. That's why I'd like a step by step through some solid examples. To see where he's coming from.

No matter what; it's all opinion, so there isn't a "right" answer. Just a number of differing points of view.

Don C.
                          However, an uninformed opinion is a wrong-headed one. An opinion formed from blind emotion is also a wrong one.

Dana

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

Regardless of nasty comments from those who dislike the series (or don't believe it to be a true continuation of the original)...I hope it isn't cancelled, but instead a new producer comes aboard and new/old writers continue the series.

I do really hope the romantic angles are left behind (for the most part)...It seems they are concentrating too much on that in each season. I'd also like to see more classic villains return.

Dana

Comment

• YANOULI
                              Part-Time Timelord
                              • Jan 9, 2006

I emailed the BBC about it from their Doctor Who web page but so far they aren't saying anything.
                              " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎