Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jokers WILD! King Joker from Batman vs Hulk; Heath Ledger--Dark Knight; Arkham Asylum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Jokers WILD! King Joker from Batman vs Hulk; Heath Ledger--Dark Knight; Arkham Asylum

For your Sunday viewing pleasure I present you with three new custom Mego Jokers! (I can hear a number of you saying "Joker! Joker! Joker!" as I type this, and you know who you are)

In comic books, an intercompany crossover (also called cross-company or company crossover) is a comic or series of comics where characters that are the property of one company meet those owned by another company (for example, DC Comics' Batman meeting Marvel's Hulk). These usually occur in "one-shot" issues or miniseries.

In the earliest licensed crossovers, the companies seemed to prefer shared world adventures. This was the approach for early intercompany crossovers, including 1981's Batman vs Hulk.

The cover of DC and Marvel Present: Batman vs Hulk (as drawn by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez)

In this issue Joker receives great power from the Shaper of Worlds and transforms into King of the World Joker as seen below in a brilliantly vibrant, amazingly drawn, multi-colored costume.

My King Joker is built on a Mego Type 2 Wizard of Oz Scarecrow body; with a DC Origins Joker head enlarged by me; shoes and belt from CTVT; staff from a 2001 Hasbro Joker action figure; suit and paints by yours truly; crown made by Laser Mego; Collar from Fighting Furies Spanish Adventure set dyed yellow; Santa hat from parts unknown.

King Joker rules the Hulk and Batman

To this day I am convinced that the role of Joker as played by Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight is the single, greatest acting performance in the history of film. And, I feel this way because of one simple reason: every time I watch the scenes with the Joker I cannot see Heath Ledger. I can only see the Joker. To this day I cannot see Ledger under that make-up. He immersed himself so into the character that he became the character and Heath Ledger ceased to be. By contrast in the 1989 version of Batman I knew it was Jack Nicholson in Joker paint the whole time.

The challenge for me was to make a Heath Ledger Joker as Megoesque as possible without losing the Dark Knight vibe. I toyed around with actually designing the pattern to his shirt and then thought, "Mego would not have spent the time to do that." I think Mego would have simplified it (like they did with so many details on their action figures) and made him much more crisp and clean. I think I did as good a job as I could achieving a balance between Megoesque and the essence of Ledger's version.

My Heath Ledger Joker is built on a new CTVT body with purple glove hands; jacket and brown shoes from CTVT as well; head from parts unknown; with all paints and suit by yours truly.

With his Goons

My next Joker was a quickie inspired by some of the new products available at CTVT. He is built on an original Mego Type 1 body; orange jumpsuit and straight jacket from CTVT; original Mego AJ boots; head enlarged and painted by me.

Batman and Robin return Joker to Dr. Arkham and Arkham Asylum

Here is a group shot of my Jokers. Customs include: King Joker; Heath Ledger; Jack Nicholson; and The New Adventures of Batman. Originals include FTC Cesar Romero and Mego Fist Fighter.

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, thanks for looking!

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin

PS Take a close look at my Jack Nicholson Joker. You can see that it is Nicholson. It is obvious! But the Ledger Joker? It really could be anybody behind that make-up. Maybe even me?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by megowgsh; Jan 24, '16, 8:52 AM.
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • BATMAN89
    Mego obsessed!!!
    • Jul 20, 2010

Absolutely fantastic Austin!!!
    Beautiful work on the paints, suits, and all the rest!
    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• darkbros
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 3, 2012

Very Nice!
      Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
      https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Very cool!

Comment

• Mego Milk
          Custom Mego Maker
          • Jun 3, 2007

BAM!!!

Comment

• TomStrong
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2011

Prolific and awesome.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

nice pile of Jokers!!
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• pmwasson
                Maker
                • Sep 12, 2007

They all look great!
                sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• daz71
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2014

fantastic bunch of clowns that first one really pops.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 11, 2013

Amazing work and great attention to detail. Must have taken you literally hours to do!
                    Love the Ledger joker!

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 28, 2013

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I was hoping Figures was going to tackle King Joker at some point. Yours is the high bar to achieve. Perfect.

Comment

• mjaycox
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 16, 2008

I suspect you'll get a lot of adulation for the Ledger Joker, but for me the King Joker is the prize of the set , and one of the best Joker customs I've seen. One of my fave customs by you since the Hall of Armor Iron Man set.

Matt
                        Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• Legend of Link
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 12, 2010

Originally posted by mjaycox
                          I suspect you'll get a lot of adulation for the Ledger Joker, but for me the King Joker is the prize of the set , and one of the best Joker customs I've seen. One of my fave customs by you since the Hall of Armor Iron Man set.

Matt
                          What he said^^^ top notch Austin!!!

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures

Comment

• hawkmike
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 15, 2003

Amazing! The things you get done! Very cool customs!
                            wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• Grimjohn
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 28, 2011

Magnificent trio of Jokers!

You hit the nail on the head with why Heath's performance as the Joker has set the benchmark for future portrayals of the character on the silver screen. Thank you for articulating my exact sentiments.
                              My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎