X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Robin and Nightwing

Ok, don't hate me for asking this. But when it comes to Batman, I'm stuck on the Adam West series and the 60s and 70s Filmation toons. I've never read the comics. When I watched that video on You Tube I posted the other day, Batman kept saying Robin and Robin kept correcting him and saying Nightwing. Is this a different guy? Did Robin change his identity? When and why did this occur? And please, keep it simple, I'm comic book storyline challenged!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

Dick Grayson grew up and changed his name to Nightwing (more adult). Tim Drake is now Robin.
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Cosmicman
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by ScottA
      Dick Grayson grew up and changed his name to Nightwing (more adult). Tim Drake is now Robin.
      Dick Grayson, Nightwing

Tim Drake, Robin
      More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• HardyGirl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Ok, now who is Tim Drake? How does he fit into this? And what the story behind the name change and a new Robin?

Comment

• Overkill
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 19, 2007

Well Robin decided to become Nightwing (during The New Teen Titans) since he decided he wasn't fit to wear his Robin costume anymore because it represented the young sidekick of Batman. He was an adult now, and his young Robin identity had to go along with his connections to Batman. He wanted to be his own hero, and not in the shadow of Batman anymore.

As for Tim Drake, I'm not really sure about him. I think he found out that Bruce Wayne was Batman, so Batman let him become Robin, or something like that. Also I'm not sure if his parents died to to a gang fight or something. Maybe I'm getting confused with Jason Todd. Either way, Dick Grayson is my favorite so I only know detailed stuff about him. :P

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Here's an overview of Robin...hope this helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_28comics%29

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Tim Drake pretty much put two and two together at an early age. He was apparently at the circus the night Dick's parents were killed. Later on he saw a video tape of Robin in action and saw Robin perform the same move as Dick.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Overkill
                As for Tim Drake, I'm not really sure about him. I think he found out that Bruce Wayne was Batman, so Batman let him become Robin, or something like that. Also I'm not sure if his parents died to to a gang fight or something. Maybe I'm getting confused with Jason Todd. Either way, Dick Grayson is my favorite so I only know detailed stuff about him. :P
                Tim Drake's father died at the hands of Captain Boomerang in "Identity Crisis"...his mother died prior to that. He has since been adopted by Bruce Wayne I believe.

Jason Todd had 2 origins. The first, pre-Crisis origin was very similar to Dick Grayson's (parents were in the circus and were killed by a criminal...Killer Croc I believe). After Crisis, his origin was rebooted...he was a street kid who was caught trying to heist the tires off the Batmobile. His father I'm not sure what happened to (a criminal type) and his mother was killed at the hands of The Joker, who in turn killed Jason Todd....

....at least until Superboy-Prime's punches altered history and Jason Todd came back to life.
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Overkill
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 19, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  Tim Drake's father died at the hands of Captain Boomerang in "Identity Crisis"...his mother died prior to that. He has since been adopted by Bruce Wayne I believe.

Jason Todd had 2 origins. The first, pre-Crisis origin was very similar to Dick Grayson's (parents were in the circus and were killed by a criminal...Killer Croc I believe). After Crisis, his origin was rebooted...he was a street kid who was caught trying to heist the tires off the Batmobile. His father I'm not sure what happened to (a criminal type) and his mother was killed at the hands of The Joker, who in turn killed Jason Todd....

....at least until Superboy-Prime's punches altered history and Jason Todd came back to life.
                  Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    After Crisis, his origin was rebooted...he was a street kid who was caught trying to heist the tires off the Batmobile. His father I'm not sure what happened to (a criminal type) and his mother was killed at the hands of The Joker, who in turn killed Jason Todd....

I coulda Sworn I have those books,.. & read all of those stories. Pretty Much Batman #402to #430. I think it was Two-Face that Killed Jason's Dad..., in which Jason's Dad Worked for Two-Face I Believe. There's even a scene in a Titan Book,.. where Dick punched Bruce in the Face after Jason Died.

& For the Record,.. in my Mind, because of everything I have read in the Comics over the last 20+ yrs..., To Me Dick Grayson is NightWing,.. Not Robin.. nore has been for a Very long Time. The Flash Back & Current Titan Yr1 Story is Refreshing,.. & pretty neat imo.

& I would like to see Jason in a Super Hero Costume,.. however I don't want to see him as RedRobin.

& BTW... There were 2 chick Robins,.. & Don't forget Earth2. This is worse than a Soap. " As the Robin Suit Turns"
                    Last edited by BlackKnight; Apr 9, '08, 10:45 PM.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah I think that bit was recapped in A Death In The Family about Two-Face killing Jason's dad. Was also a bit about how Jason found out about it and hunted Harvey down. Instead of getting his revenge Jason turned him over to the cops. I never thought about it until now but it sort of reminds you of Robin's Reckoning from Batman:TAS.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

To make matter's more confusing, the animated Tim Drake of The New Batman Adventures pretty much had Jason Todd's origin, but didn't have his post-Crisis attitude.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          Alan Scott is the best GL
                          • Aug 8, 2007

I wish they would have left Jason Todd Dead (I for one voted to kill him off originally).

As e3 chris will attest the E2 robin grew up in the late 60's crossovers and for a while wore a Batman inpired suit with a yellow cape) before he switched to the grown up Robin suit we all knew from the last 10 years before crisis. I always felt that the e2 robin replacing batman was part of the inspiration for E2 dick to become nightwing

the reality of robin's growing up is it puts a bigger spotlight on the fact that Bruce doesn't really age but thanks to comic book time DG has been nightwing for like 25 years and the character is about 28-30 years old

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

Uh-huh...now I know why I stick w/ the 60s series and the 60s and 70s cartoons! All that is just too complicated. But thank you all for answering my question.

Comment

• Overkill
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 19, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                              Uh-huh...now I know why I stick w/ the 60s series and the 60s and 70s cartoons! All that is just too complicated. But thank you all for answering my question.
                              Haha yeah, all that twisted stuff gets my mind confused as well. As far as I know( or care), Dick Grayson is the only Robin. I love the 40's comics, and for now I'm sticking with the golden age Batman and Robin as being the 'current' teamup since they are not that hectic with confusing complicated plot lines, reborn characters, and five origins per character. They're all about adventures that the dynamic duo has to solve and that's what I like! No confusing twisted stuff.Just fun action.
                              Last edited by Overkill; Apr 10, '08, 2:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎