X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • houseofdracula
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 11, 2011

My FTC Wish!

While the Mego Monsters were (are) cool figures to collect, to me, the real Monster figures of the 1970's were the AHI figures.

ahi 001.jpg

I can remember actually being afraid of the Dracula figure (boxed) on a store shelf, LOL.

I'm a huge Monster fan and I also collect AURORA Monster model kits. This (like Mego) is also a hobby that I've carried over since childhood.
    I learned at a young age that you couldn't really play with Monster models (without them falling apart) but you COULD play with these AHI figures.

ahi 002.jpg

Anyway, I'd LOVE to see FTC re-release these figures.
    I know that they already do the Mego Monsters and I also know that other Universal Monsters were done by EMCE and while both companies have done a good job with these Monsters, None of these are the REAL Monsters of my childhood.

ahi 003.jpg

The AHI Monsters were the first (for me anyway) and because of that, there is a Magic about them.

So, anyone else interested in these?
    The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
    https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Absolutely! And I think the likenesses are generic enough to not fall under the Universal Monster license...they should be easily doable.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

They'd sell like hotcakes for sure.

Comment

• houseofdracula
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 11, 2011

Glad to see that I'm not alone.

Here's a bit of trivia for those who don't already know,...

The art on the backs of the AHI cards were copied directly from the AURORA Monster models Box Art.

I shouldn't say directly,...
        The artists at AHI painted their own versions but they used the AURORA boxes as their "models" for the paintings.

I doubt that you'd see anyone getting away with this today, LOL.

ahiaurora.jpg
        The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
        https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Absolutely! And I think the likenesses are generic enough to not fall under the Universal Monster license...they should be easily doable.
          Frankenstein and the Creature are not all that generic
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
            w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
            • Sep 17, 2008

Oh man, I totally agree that it would be awesome if they did these monsters too. I would most definitely buy them!
            MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

That is an AWESOME idea. But where the devil may be in the details here is the licensing on that likeness because the AHI figures really borrowed HEAVILY on the Aurora model kits. Today Polar Lights currently has the licensing rights on those model designs and even had to fight Disney regarding likeness on Hunchback. So it's a pretty contentious fight for the rights to that look. I don't know how much Polar Lights would lean on allowing those images onto figures today if it is their call. No, these figures would not be models, but the novelty here is looking allot like the models based on the original idea by AHI. I would absolutely love it, if FTC could make it happen.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I think Tom's right. The AHI Drac looks more like Lugosi than any other 8 inch figure. But I think FTC may be underestimating the popularity of horror and monsters... perhaps because their Mad Monsters series 1 and 2 were made very early in the Re-Mego era.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  Oh heck no, those are officially licensed Universal sculpts based on the Aurora models. Dracula is the only pass there. The rest would result in some fantastic law-suitery unless properly licensed. Not to mention the estate for Chaney (not sure about Strange) that would be non plussed.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• daz71
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2014

are the pictures of original figures as my dracula didn't have red hands,the mummy didn't have shoes and the wolf man didn't have a hairy chest or feet.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 26, 2009

I had ALL of 1976 Series 3 AHI monsters when I was 6 at Halloween! My Mom and grandmother got them at 2 Medic Pharmacy stores in my hometown! Frankenstein, Wolf Man (my favorite!), Dracula, and Mummy! I wish I had had the earlier series with Creature and where the others were more detailed. I would love for FTC to reissue these! I have the FTC Mego Mad Monsters reissues from 2005!

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                        One eyed, wonder
                        • Dec 17, 2009

I thought AHI got the Aurora sculpts and artwork rights with the Universal license?
                        Of course I would love to see the AHI monsters in reMego form. Currently working on this project using original heads and parts.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                          Home Of The Type3 Body
                          • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Oh heck no, those are officially licensed Universal sculpts based on the Aurora models. Dracula is the only pass there. The rest would result in some fantastic law-suitery unless properly licensed. Not to mention the estate for Chaney (not sure about Strange) that would be non plussed.
                          Yes sir! I totally agree. To me, the Dracula likeness is of Chaney from Son Of Dracula. Still, the old sculpts are pretty close and would cause issues for sure IMO. Still would love to see them!
                          LOOK
                          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

I had all the AHI monsters as a kid, remember playing with the Creature in the swimming pool, Frankenstein
                            was my favorite followed by the Creature and Dracula, I would love to see FTC produce these, we can only wish.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎