X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

Sewing Tip for fine, slippery fabric

Always use FrayCheck to seal the edges to keep the fabric from fraying.

Sometimes a fabric misbehaves when sewing seams together because it is very thin and slippery. I have found that if you used a lining for the fabric, you can beat it to submission and get some control back. It worked for a recent blouse that I made. Each part of the blouse has a lining, even the cuffs, because the fabric refused to cooperate. Also, this only works for sheers and drapey blouse material, not stretchy fabrics.

Last edited by jessica; Apr 8, '08, 8:23 PM.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

Looks great.
    I think a Lining does work out well for the thiner Fabrics, as well as if the fabric is too thin, it helps the material not become see-threw.
    As far as Fraying goes,.. Unless its a Vintage Mego Item,.. I stay away from any Possible Fraying material. I just don't want to take the time to get involved with that HeadAche. There's better material out there imo. Fraying Material just takes away from your figure, & you shouldn't have to deal with it. Granted sometimes you have too,.. when a certain Pattern presents it's self in only that material. Just my 2 cents.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

Thanks Jessica.

Comment

• spiderrogue
        new mego-er
        • Feb 3, 2008

how about some more tips on sewing spandex? anyone? this would be a great place for stuff like that...for us sewing by machine "newbies"

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

I only have one for that...Use a blunt or rounded needle, because the sharp ones will break the threads when you sew...and possibly cause runs in your fabric.

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

I just thought of another one...as you sew, try to stretch your fabric a little bit (not too much), as your fabric is eased under the needle by those moving treads...so that when the machine is finished with your stitching, your stretchy fabric will bounce back into its intended shape and not have a "stretched" look to it. Try it and let me know if it helps.

To do list:

Comment

• spiderrogue
              new mego-er
              • Feb 3, 2008

i do stretch it a bit...i have found that it is easier to sew when you do that...so great minds must think alike...
              i hate using pins to hold the fabric while sewing...im starting to get a little braver and only use a couple to just hold it in place..or none at all...and just keep the fabric folded over while i sew it..i know..manly stuff...

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

I don't know how you place your pins, but if you set them at a 90 degree angle to the line that you are sewing, the sewing machine needle will sew around them (without you having to remove them before it gets to the needle). I was afraid at first, but it's true. The only time the machine needle would bend the silk pin is if it wasn't placed in the correct 90 degree angle. Or, for sewing fine details where fine sewing pins would not work, I have used dabs of fabric glue in lieu of pins like for the sleeve detail of this outfit. Try not to use too much glue though because dries up gummy, and the sewing machine needle has a hard time going through gummy material:

Last edited by jessica; Apr 10, '08, 6:08 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• lepage
                  The Ape General
                  • Aug 12, 2001

I have been frustrated with my machine latley. It is not cooperating at all!

Comment

• REMOVED
                    • Apr 18, 2024

Thanks for the tips. Another big help is using a walking foot.

Comment

• REMOVED
                      • Apr 18, 2024

Originally posted by spiderrogue
                      i do stretch it a bit...i have found that it is easier to sew when you do that...so great minds must think alike...
                      i hate using pins to hold the fabric while sewing...im starting to get a little braver and only use a couple to just hold it in place..or none at all...and just keep the fabric folded over while i sew it..i know..manly stuff...

Hi Matt--- it's nice to see u. Tried to make this private but... Hope you are well.

Comment

• REMOVED
                        • Apr 18, 2024

oh i see this is an old thread. so matt wasn't really here. :-(

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎