X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gummi
    Career Member
    • Dec 2, 2009

Need some feedback from Aquaman VS. The Great White Shark owners

Hello everyone. I recently received my Aquaman VS. The Great White Shark set from FTC, and to my disappointment the upper jaw had come loose during shipping and dinged up the plastic and the propellor had broken off. I've only seen a few other posts here from owners, and while one had their shark arrive in similar condition to mine, the other got one in good condition. I'm considering sending mine back to FTC, but I'm trying to decide if I want to get a replacement or a refund. Due to the nature of how these are packaged, I don't think the odds are very good of receiving a display worthy piece without having to cut the tape and repair and re-position everything. There just isn't enough there to hold the shark in place. My question to you is in what condition did your shark set arrive? I'm trying to gauge my odds of receiving one in decent shape before I make my decision on the refund or replacement. Thanks.
    Last edited by gummi; Dec 14, '15, 12:43 AM.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Hiya Gummi,

Of the 4 I received, 3 needed some help to get the shark back where it should be in the package. One had a mark from the shark on the window plastic, but it could probably be cleaned off.
    All of them that moved in transit could be 'fixed' by opening up the package and moving the shark back into position. None of them had broken parts. hope that helps.

Comment

• megomania
      Persistent Member
      • Jan 2, 2010

I received mine yesterday - looked perfect. They had packed it in a box inside of a box.

Comment

• gummi
        Career Member
        • Dec 2, 2009

Thanks. Seems like the chance of getting a good one is going to be luck more than anything.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

When I received mine, it was also packaged as a box inside a box and had good packing all around. Everything was intact and looked great. Hopefully what happened in your situation was not the norm, because if it is, FTC will have allot of returns. There's no question if I sat in your shoes, I would return it. How it happened in transit or in the factory is moot. You paid for a mint product and got one broken. I have ZERO doubts FTC will make you whole. So sorry that happen to you. It's a cool set but should get to you in ideal condition. Keep us posted on your results.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 21, 2009

The head was off my shark, but it easily snapped back into place. The package was not hurt in any way.

Comment

• gummi
              Career Member
              • Dec 2, 2009

Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like a 50/50 shot at this point.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

for the pricetag on the shark, it really ought to be packaged better. It can't be shipped safely in its box as it is now. Imagine a comic shop ordering a few to sell in the store and getting a bunch of jumbled up boxes of fish parts.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• gummi
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 2, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  for the pricetag on the shark, it really ought to be packaged better. It can't be shipped safely in its box as it is now. Imagine a comic shop ordering a few to sell in the store and getting a bunch of jumbled up boxes of fish parts.
                  Yeah, I agree. There are only a few cardboard cutouts holding the shark in place, and there is nothing at all there to keep the upper jaw from flipping up and potentially dislodging completely if the box is turned upside down during shipment. I'm sure the bargain basement Fedex Smartpost shipping isn't helping matters either. If I do opt for an exchange and it happens again, I'm going to be out nearly $42 in shipping costs by the time it's all said and done. When I emailed FTC, they didn't reply to my question about covering return shipping, so I'm taking that as a no.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I think the thing that may be causing the problem is trying to keep to the original Mego aesthetic.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by gummi
                      Yeah, I agree. There are only a few cardboard cutouts holding the shark in place, and there is nothing at all there to keep the upper jaw from flipping up and potentially dislodging completely if the box is turned upside down during shipment. I'm sure the bargain basement Fedex Smartpost shipping isn't helping matters either. If I do opt for an exchange and it happens again, I'm going to be out nearly $42 in shipping costs by the time it's all said and done. When I emailed FTC, they didn't reply to my question about covering return shipping, so I'm taking that as a no.
                      I had to return something before and they reimbursed my shipping cost. What you need to do is call them directly and let them explain how they want that sent back. Their number is 813-749-0800. Usually Tony is the one who picks up. But whomever it is just explain you received your package and one of your sets was broken. Tell them you'll need to be reimbursed to return it. They'll walk you through it. When they get it back, they immediately credit you back (normally through the form of payment you had given them). And note, I would put tracking and insurance on that. You want to make sure it not only gets there but if it does get lost by the Postal Service you are insured for the whole thing. It's always safe to protect yourself from any more problems that could arise.

Comment

• Teemu
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by gummi
                        FTC customer service really hasn't been good lately and they need to drop the cheap-*** Fedex Smartpost now! They were using priority mail before and have really cheapened out while the shipping costs stayed the same.

Comment

• gummi
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 2, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                          I had to return something before and they reimbursed my shipping cost. What you need to do is call them directly and let them explain how they want that sent back. Their number is 813-749-0800. Usually Tony is the one who picks up. But whomever it is just explain you received your package and one of your sets was broken. Tell them you'll need to be reimbursed to return it. They'll walk you through it. When they get it back, they immediately credit you back (normally through the form of payment you had given them). And note, I would put tracking and insurance on that. You want to make sure it not only gets there but if it does get lost by the Postal Service you are insured for the whole thing. It's always safe to protect yourself from any more problems that could arise.
                          Thanks, that's good to hear. I'll try calling them instead of email once I decide for sure what I want to do.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Question (because I've not ordered one yet but want to): Can you call ahead and ask them to put bubble-wrap inside the shark package to stabilize and protect the toy during shipping. Seems like a good solution to me.
                            Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 14, '15, 6:47 PM.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Slarivier
                              • Sep 21, 2014

Mine also arrived a box, and then again in a larger box containing other items. No dents, no shark movement, however Aquaman's right leg was dangling at the knee. Turns out the peg was just loose, and it popped back in nice and tight. I have to say, I was on the fence about this set, and I just love it

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎