X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Symbiote Spider-Man and the Kingpin of Crime

The Symbiote Costume, also known as the Black Suit by fans, is the first brand new change of costume donned by Peter Parker in the first published Amazing Spider-Man #252, and chronologically donned in Secret Wars #8.

The black costume originated in 1982 from an idea submitted by 22-year-old fan Randy Schueller, after Marvel ran a competition for aspiring writers and artists to elicit new ideas for the Marvel Universe.

Schueller's idea was to slightly upgrade Spider-Man's abilities and appearance: he would don a new black, stealth-like suit designed by Reed Richards and The Wasp of the Avengers. Composed of the same unstable molecules found in the Fantastic Four's costumes, this new suit would be more durable and stealth-like than the handmade red and blue costume.

The idea was purchased by Jim Shooter at Marvel for the sum of 220 US dollars (over 500 dollars today) and the opportunity to craft the story. Schueller submitted different versions of the story, but ultimately, Marvel took creative control.

It was not until 1984's Secret Wars that the black costume would debut. Having damaged his original costume in battle, Spider-Man discovers a machine thought to be a fabric replicator. The machine produces a black sphere, which then engulfs Peter in black goo, eventually forming his suit while augmenting his powers and abilities. The suit would later be revealed to be a symbiotic lifeform.

My Black Suit Spider-Man is built on an original Mego Type 2 body with black hands from CTVT; head is a shrink of the head topper to a shampoo bottle; suit designed by Daremo and printed by yours truly.

Wilson Fisk, the man who would one day become the Kingpin, started out as a common thug in the Bronx. He was noticed by one Don Rigoletto, an accomplished crime boss who admired Fisk's sheer brutality and hired him as his primary enforcer. Fisk eventually murdered his benefactor and took control over his mob empire. Thus, the Kingpin was born.

Wilson Fisk is a criminal mastermind who is involved in extensive illegal activities such as drug running, smuggling, murder, and so forth.

Despite this, he has no criminal record and an army of lawyers to keep it that way, and is a criminal financial strategist without parallel. Fisk has no superhuman powers, but the majority of his 400-plus pound bulk is solid muscle.

As he appears in the 1995 Animated Spider-Man television series

My Kingpin was originally made using an old Kojak action figure body by Excel Toys a number of years ago. This version has been upgraded using an Andre the Giant body from FTC; cane from CTVT; an enlarged Marvel Legends head by me; paints by me; shoes from Toy Biz Famous Covers; and finally the suit masterfully crafted by Hawkmike.

I have always wanted to make Kingpin with this body and when I finally found one at Mego Meet 2015 I jumped at the chance. Thanks ScottA for having him for sale.

In my opinion, Kingpin is now the perfect size in relation to an original Mego T2 body.

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, thanks for looking!

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

wow fantastic kingpin looks great perfect size.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

cool Kingpin, that Spidey head would work well for the Fly twins from the cartoon, too.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Great Kingpin, very sharp Spidey.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• newlyknighted
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 21, 2010

I am loving these two customs. Great heads and costumes!
          I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

That Kingpin is sweet!

Comment

• Grimjohn
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 28, 2011

Kingpin is the show stopper! Magnificent job on him! And, Spidey is sheer perfection! Superbly done, I love both of these fantastic figures!
              My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

That Kingpin is a masterpiece.

Comment

• hawkmike
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 15, 2003

wow nice
                  wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

wow great pair of figs!

Comment

• darkbros
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 3, 2012

Love the KingPin! But a question...Why the use of White Thread on Spidey's Outfit?
                      Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                      https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Riderfan
                        Megos are cool
                        • Feb 14, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        that Spidey head would work well for the Fly twins from the cartoon, too.
                        I agree, as that was the head(s) I used on my Fly twins a couple years ago.

Great Kingpin!

K
                        I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Great looking set both look cool, digging the Kingpin.

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Cool...

Comment

• Vinny0026
                              Year Five!!
                              • Jan 26, 2012

The set looks great Austin! And Hawk Mike did an awesome job on the Kingpin suit!
                              "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎