X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

shark!! warning - pic heavy

Hiya folks. Excited to have a GWS copy at long last. I am not much into reproductions, and now this is fueling my desire to find a real loose shark. Maybe one day.

The packaging is great, and very obviously identified as a modern product. My only beef would be that they left the 'realistic swimming action' text on the box when this shark does not have a motor in it. Aquaman has realistic swimming action too, in my opinion.

Speaking of A-man, he looks to be a pretty spot on replica. I have not looked at the other reproduction Megos that FTC made, but this one looks to be a solid copy with some updated materials used for the suit. The gloves are in a baggie so you can see the highlight of this report - the webbed hands. These are nice. I have often thought the hands and bodies FTC used in the past were a bit small, but these are solid looking and totally in scale for the figure. Nice job there.

The shark looks to be a faithful recreation of the original, but without any battery compartment or motor. EDITED to add: The details on the shark are more blocky than the original. i.e. the fins and eyes. The tail end of the shark is part of the casting, and the propeller is glued on. It does not spin. The upper jaw and mouth is a separate piece and moves as the original did, tho there is a solid wall there rather than the cavity that was in the original. The shark is very obviously marked 'made in China'.

I would also have to note that the shark is secured ONLY by the cardboard cutouts and is quite easily jostled out of place. One of the sharks I had bumped around hard enough to pop his upper jaw off, so that is the one I opened to review. The box is taped shut, so if your shark is misplaced, you will have to break a seal in order to put it back where it belongs if you want to display this item in the box. Not too difficult to do, the tail slips into a cutout towards the back of the display and the two fins are supposed to hold the shark in place via cutouts towards the front. Aquaman is wired on, and has a place for his left foot to disappear into the waves. All of the A-man figures I received were in different positions, so again you may have to open the box even if you want to display in the packaging.

All in all, a very nice repro from the FTC company. Just be careful as you may open your shark to find it swimming around in the packaging.

Last edited by rche; Dec 8, '15, 11:34 PM.
  • darkbros
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 3, 2012

Wow! Really Cool! I never wanted one as a kid...I already had an Aquaman then and didn't really like getting my WGSH wet...GI Joes, now that was another story....
    Thanks for the pics....
    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• tllgn
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2010

Great review.I got one coming.if I hadn't I would do to these pics.i should get him any day.love the webbed hands.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Very cool pics and review! Thanks for sharing!! I get mine tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
          Career Member
          • Aug 3, 2010

Wow, how cool. Someone will be having a long tub tonight, lol
          mego's befo ho's

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

That's great! Thanks!

Tempting, but I don't have the space for it, especially if those vans ever come out.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

If I'm not mistaken this was a repop of one of Chad's wasn't it? That would make it a 3rd generation copy.

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                If I'm not mistaken this was a repop of one of Chad's wasn't it? That would make it a 3rd generation copy.
                I believe the source for this shark was from reevefan78 when he tried desperately to build the shark and sell copies. Course, his stretched out to be a two year ordeal and never panned out.
                As I review the pics, I am left scratching my head why there are lines from the mold in odd places...unless they are separate pieces welded together on a thermatron or something...
                Look at the upper jaw - there is a vertical line all from the eyes all around...
                Look at the shot of the underbody...it looks like it was my 3d printed files, glued together...just kinda odd to me.
                Having spent intimate time sculpting/shaping my shark, I see things I don’t like...the eyeball looks like a cutoff cylinder painted red and put on the head instead of being a hemisphere.
                The peck fins don’t look like the original shark..there is no contour to them...they almost look like foam board cutouts inserted into some slots.
                But hey, congrats ftc on getting it done I guess.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by noelani72
                  I believe the source for this shark was from reevefan78 when he tried desperately to build the shark and sell copies. Course, his stretched out to be a two year ordeal and never panned out.
                  As I review the pics, I am left scratching my head why there are lines from the mold in odd places...unless they are separate pieces welded together on a thermatron or something...
                  Look at the upper jaw - there is a vertical line all from the eyes all around...
                  Look at the shot of the underbody...it looks like it was my 3d printed files, glued together...just kinda odd to me.
                  Having spent intimate time sculpting/shaping my shark, I see things I don’t like...the eyeball looks like a cutoff cylinder painted red and put on the head instead of being a hemisphere.
                  The peck fins don’t look like the original shark..there is no contour to them...they almost look like foam board cutouts inserted into some slots.
                  But hey, congrats ftc on getting it done I guess.
                  I was just going to comment on the seams. The least they could have done is sanded them before putting this out. I guess they had to make sure they got this out as part of their contract with DC. I've still got yours Chad and I can tell you that it's 100 times better than what I see in these pics. Don't get me started on the "Webbed Hands"

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

^^ I edited my comments above to indicate the blockyness of the fins.
                    For me, the seam lines don't detract from the piece and help to easily distinguish it from the real deal. I appreciate that, even if it was unintentional from FTC.
                    The one thing I thought was a bit odd is that there are mold marks on the tail fin that are on the side that is facing the front of the packaging. I would think that would have been better to have the smooth side out, especially for those who display their toys in the package.
                    Although I have only seen Meanie's webbed hand Aman in a few posts on this board, I don't think there will be anyone confusing these for the real deal. They seem a nice tribute to the crazy hard to find items that drive us collectors, and also will be a boon for customizers if/when FTC starts to sell these in their parts section.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

After seeing this, I will go ahead and pick on up. I want to make sure they were going to do the web hands.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by rche
                        ^^ I edited my comments above to indicate the blockyness of the fins.
                        For me, the seam lines don't detract from the piece and help to easily distinguish it from the real deal. I appreciate that, even if it was unintentional from FTC.
                        The one thing I thought was a bit odd is that there are mold marks on the tail fin that are on the side that is facing the front of the packaging. I would think that would have been better to have the smooth side out, especially for those who display their toys in the package.
                        Although I have only seen Meanie's webbed hand Aman in a few posts on this board, I don't think there will be anyone confusing these for the real deal. They seem a nice tribute to the crazy hard to find items that drive us collectors, and also will be a boon for customizers if/when FTC starts to sell these in their parts section.
                        I don't have a problem with them trying to do the hands...I just feel bad for the first person, and most likely many people, that will get suckered by someone saying that it's the real deal. You know that FTC isn't marking any of their Webbed Hand versions in any way shape or form. If they do make the hands available they better come with some sort of markings. If they don't, they are not doing right by the Mego Community AT ALL. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

I think the Shark looks great, and I'd guess they molded this off an original. That's how they've done everything. But as with everything else, the reproduction never looks quite as good/same. I am disappointed that all of their packaging and promotional materials reflect that this is a WORKING shark toy. To find out that it's not is a bit of a letdown. Not that I needed or wanted it to be, but I feel like they should have mentioned that more prominently.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

I don't have a problem with them trying to do the hands...I just feel bad for the first person, and most likely many people, that will get suckered by someone saying that it's the real deal. You know that FTC isn't marking any of their Webbed Hand versions in any way shape or form. If they do make the hands available they better come with some sort of markings. If they don't, they are not doing right by the Mego Community AT ALL. Just my 2 cents.
                            I never thought you'd have that view because your figure is the only known figure that has been known to possess webbed hands---for decades. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

With that being the case, wouldn't it be curious if only after FTC releases THEIR webbed hands that someone ELSE claims to have a webbed hand Aquaman? Not to mention, wouldn't it command a high scrutiny of the plastic for anyone to actually try to pass one off?
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• skid14
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 23, 2011

+1
                              its gonna happen.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎