X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego maniac mark
    Career Member
    • Aug 3, 2010

My Excellent Adventure to the FTC Wharehouse in Tampa

I want to share this incredible experience I had this Monday. I was in Florida last week and scheduled to fly home on Tuesday. I was able to squeeze time in on Monday to drive up to Tampa from Sarasota, before I headed back east to Port St. Lucie.

That morning I called to ask if I could stop by and pick up a few things. I spoke to Tony who said sure , not a problem. I arrived at 11 am and walked into an awesome lobby with awesome pictures of 66 batman lining the hallway.

In the foyer , was all the super hero figures lined up across the wall along with glass displays with kiss figures in it.
    Tom ( MIB41) messaged me with great advice from his visit. I suggest to those who have not read his thread about his visit, to check it out for the pics.

Tony who I spoke to ,was there and told me to follow him because I told him on the phone I wanted an Egghead. He was clearly busy and I thanked him for taking his time. I asked him if he was the owner, and he said no.
    When we walked into the back of the Wharehouse . It was like the chocalate factory at Willy Wonka's. Bays upon bays loaded with figures. Kresgee figures on the end, kiss figures down the line, double and quadruple packs on each side of the aisle.
    Bins of loose figures, all the heads and accessories , Oh My God!

At that point another gentlemen said to Tony that he could help me since Tony was busy and that he himself knew where most items were. That person turns out is Anthony the owner of FTC himself. I can't tell you enough what a nice, gracious guy he is.

I know I spoke for many of us who are just tickled to have these figures , and thanked Anthony for everything he has done for the Mego hobby. He has truly made it such a pleasure with the megos new and old that he is producing for us. I gave him my most heartfelt thanks, which he was very appreciative for.
    I politely asked him if I could take photos, which he said sure. He let me shop around while he was also picking orders. I knew I was going to be like Rodney Dangerfield in caddyshack,
    "Give me 2 of these, 3 of those , 6 of those naked lady tee's" Lol

Anthony also told me he has some damaged figures in his office I can pick through for parts, cool! So after getting everything I wanted and then some, I followed him to his office area.

This is where it gets cool as hell...
    I was able to sit in the conference room which is lined with all the new things to come. Let me tell you all that you will not be dissapointed. The teen titans, monkees and super friends all look amazing.
    I again asked Anthony if I could take some pics , in which he allowed me to and asked me not to post. I agreed I would not post them.
    What does that say about him? He was nice enough to allow me to take photos of figures only a small amount of people have seen and trust me not to post them. I would have totally understood had he said no.

After picking out some stuff , I had a large Baggie full of goodies. I will not say what he charged me for the bag, but I was extremely happy. I look forward to going again for the deal I got.
    I was also lucky enough to go into his office that has the walls lined with all sorts of loose and carded original Mego figures. Next to that office was his partner Steve who reminded me of Doc Brown from back to the future. He has been in the toys business since the sixties and personally did business with Marty Abrams. He was so nice and fun to talk with I didn't want to leave!
    I know there are a lot of our members here who mostly bash FTC. So I wanted to let you all know how great they are and how much I love them even more now. Anthony, Steve and his team do a tremendous job bringing these figures to us. People do not understand the work that goes into producing these works of art. People are too quick to criticize and not praise the quality of these new figures. The latest wave of 66 figures are truly works of art.
    Sorry for the length of this post, I could keep going. And go is what you should do if you are in Florida in the near future, you will be so happy you did!
    mego's befo ho's
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Thanks for the wonderful post. Great to see megos in the hands of such nice folks. I'm not surprised at all. Anthony is an awesome guy!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for the write-up. FTC really seems to doing this for all the right reasons.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• rodkeith
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 16, 2008

Thanks for sharing your great experience! While it's unlikely I'll personally ever make this trip, you and the others who have done so make me realize that these folks really care about their product and their customers.

Comment

• jeffbearco
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2011

I'd need to make sure I have lots of cash on me. I'm sure I'd want to buy a few things I had not even considered before.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Amen Mark. When you and I spoke prior to your visit, I was absolutely convinced you would walk out with a similar impression and appreciation I had from my trip. It's hard to impress upon those who have not met these talented and well meaning folks how much they are invested in this and how much they really care about their product. Seeing is believing. But meeting them is what seals the deal. That gives you a grounded perspective on the whole deal. Any assumptions or distant impressions are obliterated and you immediately understand these folks love this product (at bare minimum) as much as you do. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

I'm glad you had a good time there. I wish I could take the time to go down there and see for myself. I may not like some of the things that FTC has produced, but overall, I am glad that they are at least doing their best to make people happy.
              JediJaida

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

sound great mark imagine what it would have been like looking around a place like that when we were kids.

Comment

• newlyknighted
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 21, 2010

It would be a thrill to meet the men behind FTC. I am so envious of you and Tom as I read this. I'll bet both of you had a fun time inspecting all the wonderful toys that soon be in our respective collections. I probably would not be able to sleep just thinking about everything you would see in their Santa Claus toyshop!
                  I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• tllgn
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 6, 2010

Nice ,glad you had a good time,i sure would like to see for myself someday ,Sure would like to see your pics ,Cant you post pics of the stuff that you seen in the warehouse ? like the other fella did ,those were great .

Comment

• Grimjohn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 28, 2011

A fantastic write-up, it helps visualize how awesome of an experience touring their facility would be. Thanks for sharing.
                      My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• Remco Monster
                        GLOWS in the Dark!
                        • May 3, 2006

Love hearing about these visits. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Very cool man. It's nice to know they're not just phoning it in.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

Wow...totally jealous, and totally happy for you. Thanks for sharing w/ us!
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• smonte00
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 19, 2005

Wow, awesome story. I had no idea that they'd let people walk in there off the street. I live in Miami, so I'll see if I can make the drive over there one day. My son is ten and loves Megos. I gotta get him over there before he gets to that, "I'm too cool for this" stage.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎