X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Do You Think.....?

There seems to be a lot of talk lately about FTC. Some folks (probably myself included) are labeled as those flag wavers who promote and love everything FTC releases regardless of any production issues. Then there are those members who are labeled as the nay-Sayers. These are the ones who poo-poo all over every announcement, highlighting what’s wrong with it. This had me thinking and something popped in my head that I wanted to share. Not looking for a debate on which side is right or wrong because everyone is entitled to their opinion or stance here and as adults, we need to respect each other’s opinions.

I was looking at what made us collectors in the first place? What brings us all here is the love for these toys we had as kids. We all love the original mego products. What popped in my head is this: I wonder if some of the original mego’s were only sold now, how we’d react? I wonder if we saw an Iron Man with a nose or a Shazam with a yellow cape and Peter Parker head or a short Hulk if we’d crap all over them. We loved these toys as kids and I suspect most of you still love these, warts and all.

Perhaps it’s because there is a 40 (or 50) year old looking at these new toys instead of a kid looking to play. The reason why I wave the FTC flag repeatedly is just that. When I see a new Bizarro mego, I don’t see the big head, I see it from the eyes of my inner-child and get excited about him fighting my old mego Superman. I choose to get a excited at the fact a Bizarro mego even exists because I always wanted one and the reality is, if a big head Bizarro were sold in 1975, it’d probably be one of the most popular mego’s to collect today.

To each his own but I thought I’d ask the question: how do you think this community would react if we were seeing the ORIGINAL mego’s for the first time? Second question, how do you think the production issues with FTC compare to Mego itself? (IE: Alfred with large head vs Mxytplik on fat body)
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

Technically, Peter Parker had a SHAZAM head ...

I was 8 when the original WGSH debuted, and as much as I loved them, the little costuming inaccuracies (no white sleeves or red gloves on Captain America), poor sculpts and paint (Cap's head with googley eyes, Batman with short ears and pupils), and low quality bodies (I had many popped knees on my type 2s, broken wrists on my type 1s) drove me nuts, even then.

Comment

• ovenmitt
      Persistent Member
      • May 26, 2009

I was 2 in 1972 when Mego WGSH debuted. Loved them then and love them now. WGSH were the 1ST DC and Marvel action figures for crying out loud! Sure there were mistakes Captain America obviously and bodysuit Wonder Woman, but there were gems and Mego improved. *I could just not stand the STICKER emblems at 1st! How long did Mego expect the stickers to stay on after figure was removed from package? Glad FTC is silk screening emblems. I love DC and Marvel, DC 1st. I had more DC Megos because DC had more TV and movie exposure in 1970s. I did not know Hulk until his TV movie. Had seen Spidey on Electric Company. Thought Captain America was colorful and liked his shield but did not know costume mistakes yet. Knew Fantastic 4 from 2nd cartoon with HERBIE no Human Torch! UGH! Avengers had no cartoon like Super Friends I did not know Iron Mn, Falcon, or Thor.

I love what FTC is doing with DC- Batman, Superman, Super Friends, Super Powers, Titans, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. I just wish same could be done with Marvel. Diamond Wolverine set is now $43 on ebay. This worries me for future Marvel Megos.

So as far as DC, I am happy with Megos again today. I feel 2 again!

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Brown Bear
        I was looking at what made us collectors in the first place? What brings us all here is the love for these toys we had as kids. We all love the original mego products. What popped in my head is this: I wonder if some of the original mego’s were only sold now, how we’d react? I wonder if we saw an Iron Man with a nose or a Shazam with a yellow cape and Peter Parker head or a short Hulk if we’d crap all over them.
        Well---we were kids then. We were desperate!

We loved these toys as kids ...warts and all
        And, yes: THRILLED just to have the toys, despite any flaws.

And THOSE (for better or worse) were our childhood toys. We can continue to be child-LIKE, but that childhood with those toys can never be replicated.

That's why I feel there's an "apples/oranges" aspect to your question

The reason why I wave the FTC flag repeatedly is just that. When I see a new Bizarro mego, I don’t see the big head, I see it from the eyes of my inner-child and get excited about him fighting my old mego Superman. I choose to get a excited at the fact a Bizarro mego even exists because I always wanted one ...
        I wish my inner-child was that strong. I sincerely envy you. Then again, I DO have an FTC Bizarro on display---so, I suppose I'm pretty much covered on that tip, specifically.

To each his own but I thought I’d ask the question: how do you think this community would react if we were seeing the ORIGINAL mego’s for the first time? Second question, how do you think the production issues with FTC compare to Mego itself? (IE: Alfred with large head vs Mxytplik on fat body)
        To answer these questions would imply a validation of the questions in some way. I can't do that.

Why?

Again: "Apples/oranges" I don't want to give a nuanced reply that I see as containing elements of one scenario being taken to another scenario that is significantly (AFAIC) disparate---disparate enough to nullify any point one would try to make from the answers.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I just can't get past spending 30 bucks for a figure that is screwed up with a giant head or some other problem. For the money that us grown up Mego kids are paying for this stuff it should be correct when it comes out. FTC isn't the only company guilty of these problems either, and voting with wallets did seem to kill a few of them (6MDM and Galactica). The worst part about FTC is that they keep raising prices but don't up the quality of the bodies or solve the nagging problems that they have.
          Last edited by thunderbolt; Nov 14, '15, 4:30 AM.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Great question and thoughtful reflection Brown Bear. I think Megos will ALWAYS be a very subjective market. So much factors into what satisfies each collector. For every person who wants that original "formula" left undisturbed, you have others who want to see an advancement in that original idea. In terms of what this crowd would have said if they could be transported back to the early 70's? Well, I know how I reacted because I was there. It was magical. Sometimes its difficult to put into words how important those events were for this nine year old at the time.

Until the WGSH came out, there were NO stand alone superheroes for kids back then. You had GI Joe, Johnny West, and a short run of Captain Action. And to it's credit, the Captain Action line was the first to touch on this theme, but it was ultimately a convoluted idea that didn't last. When a kid wanted to play Spider-man, he wanted SPIDER-MAN. Not a big, clunky figure pretending to be Spider-man. Plus you wanted the villains and all the tools to feed your imagination during playtime. Mego answered that call. And, for me, the day I first saw the RC Batman, RM Robin, and others inserted on a spin rack at a checkout line, became one of those moments you file under " Where were you at". It was life changing. Playtime immediately took on a whole new meaning. Let me apply some additional context to that statement.

I watched the Spider-man '67 cartoon during it's first run. Yeah, I'm getting old. That show was magical because there was just nothing out there for a Spider-man fan and this cartoon bridged that gap. The problem was I had really nothing to play with after I watched the show. So what my mom use to do is sit me in her lap and draw me a picture of Spider-man. She was a pretty good artist too. Now she wouldn't draw him in allot of dynamic poses. Usually it was just him standing there, but that was great for me, because it was Spider-man. When she was done, she would cut out the picture and I had a paper doll to fly through the air and have play time with. The problem was he didn't last long during my adventures, so invariably my mother would find herself drawing me another one several days later. She was a patient soul.

So you can imagine...IMAGINE... when the day came and I saw my first Mego Spider-man figure. I played nonstop with that figure. I spent hours just looking at him and was in awe that he had a costume of real fabric you could feel or remove if desired. I remember looking at the creases on the neck of the molded head where it plugged into the base of the body and thinking how cool that was because it appeared to be folds in his mask. EVERY aspect of this figure popped for me. I slept with the darn thing. And to this day I still have THAT figure in THAT original box. I coveted it that much. For me, these were special times where I finally had a vehicle for my imagination. So this idea that I (as a child) could be critical of something that was completely new in concept was really not something I could reason back then. There was nothing to compare it to except his paper cousin.

So if people stood in my shoes and had the love affair I had with heroes like Spider-man and Batman, I dare say it would have been something special for them too. You never forget your first time and Mego played an indelible role in bringing that wonderful world of heroes into my young life. Now I would never expect people of different eras to share my enthusiasm because so much of that was defined by the times I lived in. But I think the magic can still speak to kids of new eras in a similar vein for the play value they inherently possess. But to that point, I will say I think the people who make these are mostly those same kids like me that grew up with them. So I believe there will always be some clashes in sensibilities because of one generation making them for a new one, while still trying to adhere to what made them unique. That's where it gets very subjective and where I think most of these varying viewpoints reside. That baseline figure is my expectation when I see new characters (or reproduction of old ones). Whatever perceived production miscues that exist are minor footnotes in my book to the plethora of product that nails it exactly as I imagined (or better). As a kid, I got to experience these figures for a very small window of time, then they virtually went extinct for 30 years thereafter. I just can't let myself get defeated when a few lines don't work out quite as I envisioned them today. I appreciate the times we reside in and understand they won't last forever. They sure didn't in the 70's. Everything runs in cycles. I dare say I won't be around for the next cycle after this one shuts down. I'm glad I'm able to re-experience this. Good times.
            Last edited by MIB41; Nov 14, '15, 7:26 AM.

Comment

• Apositive
              Career Member
              • Apr 3, 2011

It's a different era than the 1970s, doing business now is subsequently a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ballgame.

The 1970s was the era of brick and mortar retailers, now it's the internet and social media age. Yes there's still a product, but marketing tactics are different.

FTC, when it started, was a joke...their figures were crap and everyone here knows the disappointment about the initial releases of this company.

But, things turned around and today the company truly offers a wide range of product that collectors and customizers can appreciate.

They're not perfect by any means, but these folks have made strides. Unfortunately the production process remains slow as everything is made overseas, right?

As a collector, I like TFC because they remind me of my childhood....that's it.

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

i loved the originals at the time and still do now i was never keen on the short hulk or cap not having the correct outfit ,i'm still not.i bought the ftc figures that i didn't have originally wonder woman,batgirl,teen titans,catwoman and i'm happy with them but been a marvel guy can't see me buying anymore maybe hawkman.i do think they are doing a good job for the d.c. fans.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Nostalgic patina of childhood notwithstanding, the biggest difference is: Mego was inventing as it went along. And as you point out, there were clunkers along the way (The Waltons? CHiPs' giant heads, Cap's design/deco). As fans, we can sometimes look past them.

Tom and Jase are willing to do the same for FTC; I am sometimes not. FTC has the benefit of hindsight, fan input, and modern production. I expect more from them as a collector that I wouldn't as a child, and that's OK--these are collectibles oriented for adult Mego fans. They're expensive and increasingly so. FTC's clunckers may have more resonance now.

You use Bizarro as an example. I will, too: had I seen that figure as a child, I would have been mildly disappointed at the sculpt and more upset at the head size--just like vintage CHiPs in fact. Would I have wanted it as a kid, anyway? Probably yes. Now, not so much--here's hoping the SF version is better.

There's a lot of mention here lately of subjectivity. Just so, it's unavoidable in that we all have different tastes and expectations. But some recurring concerns across the board--scale, being on-model--crop up often enough to suggest some legitimacy.

Are expectations here unreasonable? I've never really thought so. We've supported lines in spite of themselves before--many times in fact. And now sales of figures like Bizarro, Alfred, and green-suited '66 Riddler prove we'll continue to do so. In that light, is expressing misgivings that corrosive?
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• warlock664
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                    *I could just not stand the STICKER emblems at 1st! How long did Mego expect the stickers to stay on after figure was removed from package? Glad FTC is silk screening emblems.
                    Yep, that drove me nuts as a kid too! Thankfully, Captain America's star was cloth-like, so my mom was able to stitch it on, but Batman, Robin, Superman and especially Aquaman suffered from worn or lost paper emblems.

Don't get me wrong, I loved them then and owned a couple dozen including Apes, but even as a youngster the shortcuts and inaccuracies bugged me. Falcon would have been near-perfect with white Joker/Penguin hands, but they had a surplus of hairy Ape hands so ...
                    I agree that their later efforts really improved; Thor was stunning, though I unfortunately never had one. Green Goblin would have been perfect with his glider. Conan got the swashbuckler boots Cap deserved, etc.

Comment

• jayraytee
                      Career Member
                      • May 27, 2011

It is an apples to oranges question. The standards are much higher, much like the price, because it's 40 years later. A company today shouldn't be making product with the quality of a company from 40 years ago, it should be much better. In some cases FTC has actually been worse, like the body of many of their figures. The FTC female figures bodies were really messed up, Mego did a better job 40 years ago, that's pretty sad.

Movies of the 70s had some pretty lame special effects, and if a film company made a movie of that quality today they would get slammed. The standard today is higher simply because progress has been made the last 40 years, at least you would hope.

I think FTC like any of these companies needs objective feedback in order to improve. We need to tell them what they do right and we need to tell them where they miss the mark. For example, I think what they get right is the packaging, the correct focus on the right market (the mego collector market), the costumes.. what they get wrong, in my opinion, is the bodies, the head scale issues, head sculpts sometimes, lack of accessories.

They need to know what the customer base thinks of their products. Not the opinion of one guy here and there, but if the consensus is that they have head scale issues.. then they will want to know that so they can address the issue which will lead to more sales. It's business. That is win/win. The fanbase gets a better product and they get more sales.

If you silence the 'negative' comments, then FTC will not get a clear picture and they would continue producing figures the fanbase collectively is not happy with and that is a downward spiral.

I think, or it seems as though, they are addressing some issues as they get raised. We have not seen very many female figures since the body issues were raised.
                      Last edited by jayraytee; Nov 14, '15, 9:20 AM.
                      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

I have vintage Dinahs from forty years ago, and they are still in fantastic shape; very limber, with nice paint apps, silky hair, and bright clean outfits.

It's a shame that the rubber bands that FTC uses, and it is pretty much the bands as well as other stuff, are SO tight that the doll simply isn't poseable.

The bungee bands simply don't have the same flexibility that the old ones had, and really don't work well.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by JediJaida
                          I have vintage Dinahs from forty years ago, and they are still in fantastic shape; very limber, with nice paint apps, silky hair, and bright clean outfits.

It's a shame that the rubber bands that FTC uses, and it is pretty much the bands as well as other stuff, are SO tight that the doll simply isn't poseable.

The bungee bands simply don't have the same flexibility that the old ones had, and really don't work well.
                          Its even more of a shame that they even use such outdated methods of putting together a body. Go bandless, Castaway proved it can be done.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

I judge each of FTC figures(and EMCE)on an individual basis. It's very simple for me...if the figure looks good I BUY it. The thing that matters to me most is the head sculpt. It has to look like the character and be in scale with no GIANT head. Costume quality is important and bodies too of course...but I'm a Customizer, I'll fix those things if I need to. And that's about sums up my collecting philosophy.
                            sigpic

Comment

• drogge
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 24, 2009

I was there buying Mego in the 70's. I remember distinctly the smell of a new Mego, the vibrant colors and the excitement. But they had a ton of issues, broken bands, paint rubs, legs that fell apart. But they were cheap, always on discount at the 5 and dime. We are in a new market, the FTC mego is an adult market, not a child's throw away play thing. Adults complain, they work for the money spent, our parents are not buying these for us. I am so in love with the revival of the mego like figures, I just don't care to complain. It seems FTC is putting a lot of thought and care into what is being produced. In the end, that's all that matters to me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎