Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paladin
    • Oct 26, 2015

Questions

Okay, so after 35 years I'm getting back into Megos and I discovered the re-mego movement. During my research I read somewhere that FTC owns and supplies CTVT, so I'd like to ask the fine folks here a few questions.

What kind of quality are the bodies that are marked made in China? Would I be better just ordering the heads / clothes I want and then go the Type S body?

Are the costumes well made compared to the retro Mattel figures?

And lastly, has there been any feed back or history of them taking heed of fan requests?

Thanks for any and all responses, I'm going back to school and changing my career in my 40's, so there isn't a bunch of spare cash to dump into something that would be a disappointment.

M
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

type s zica body is my favourite body.the ftc clothes seem ok but i haven't had much from them i mainly get doc mego or castaway clothes.

Comment

• megalomaniac001
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 24, 2009

I have used FTC clothes quite a bit and for the most part they are good. They fit a bit small on Doc Mego and Type Z bodies however. I have had seams that rip and boots that split and so forth. But I would say 90% or better of the stuff I buy from them is great and really will make customizing so much easier. I don't really care for their body suits. Their China bodies are OK, but Type Z and Doc Mego's are significantly better.

Comment

• Paladin
        • Oct 26, 2015

Okay, I may have to make some decisions then. My real target figures are the 8 inch Kiss figures and just a few others like Tarzan and maybe the Monsters. Hmmm.....I think I may use type S bodies for the band and just keep the others as is. Thanks for the input, but by all means others are welcome to chime in.

Comment

• darkbros
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by megalomaniac001
          I have used FTC clothes quite a bit and for the most part they are good. They fit a bit small on Doc Mego and Type Z bodies however. I have had seams that rip and boots that split and so forth. Their China bodies are OK, but Type Z and Doc Mego's are significantly better.
          This too has been my experience as well..with the exception of their boots and belts, I pretty much stay away from FTC's clothes. If your clothes are too tight or don't fit on an OEM Type 2 Mego, then too me, your missing the market.
          When I shop it usually goes like this....Order Boots and Belts from FTC/CTVT, Order bodysuits
          from Doc Mego, and as for Capes or accessories, I go with whoever is the cheapest.

For bodies you can pick up OEM Type 2 and sometimes type 1 Megos headless for about what you pay for
          Type S bodies, but I'm a big fan of Type S so I'll buy bodies from them when on sale.

If you do buy an FTC body, be prepared to restring the bodies. The last three I bought from them
          I ended up having to restring them all, as the bands inside the body were either too tight for posability,
          or simply broke when I moved an arm or a leg. I also have had to replace thigh pins on FTC BODIES,
          AND AMAZINGLY, WITH OEM TYPE 2 MEGO THIGH PINS, which hold up better than their newly made pins....
          figure that one out.....

As for buying FTC figures, buy them loose or bagged ( unless you really have the space for Carded figures,
          I don't). Also check with stores like Vintage Stock and Hastings, they often have figures cheaper than
          FTC's website. For instance, three vintage stocks in my town all have the FTC JLA figures carded for
          less than $15 each.

I understand the being on a limited budget also...but by shopping carefully you can
          both enjoy this hobby and grow your collection.
          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• daz71
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by darkbros
            This too has been my experience as well..with the exception of their boots and belts, I pretty much stay away from FTC's clothes. If your clothes are too tight or don't fit on an OEM Type 2 Mego, then too me, your missing the market.
            When I shop it usually goes like this....Order Boots and Belts from FTC/CTVT, Order bodysuits
            from Doc Mego, and as for Capes or accessories, I go with whoever is the cheapest.

For bodies you can pick up OEM Type 2 and sometimes type 1 Megos headless for about what you pay for
            Type S bodies, but I'm a big fan of Type S so I'll buy bodies from them when on sale.

If you do buy an FTC body, be prepared to restring the bodies. The last three I bought from them
            I ended up having to restring them all, as the bands inside the body were either too tight for posability,
            or simply broke when I moved an arm or a leg. I also have had to replace thigh pins on FTC BODIES,
            AND AMAZINGLY, WITH OEM TYPE 2 MEGO THIGH PINS, which hold up better than their newly made pins....
            figure that one out.....

As for buying FTC figures, buy them loose or bagged ( unless you really have the space for Carded figures,
            I don't). Also check with stores like Vintage Stock and Hastings, they often have figures cheaper than
            FTC's website. For instance, three vintage stocks in my town all have the FTC JLA figures carded for
            less than $15 each.

I understand the being on a limited budget also...but by shopping carefully you can
            both enjoy this hobby and grow your collection.
            i only have 6 ftc figures but have never taken them off the card i don't think i will now if they are that poorly made thanks for the heads up on them.

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

I have a lot of EMCE bodies broken( many right out of the package) including
              Capt Canuck, Commander X, Red Panther, Lost, Star Trek and even loose buff bodies.
              I quit buying them except a few Marvel sets only for the heads and costumes .
              I open my remegos and set them on a shelf and have much fewer FTC figures
              fall apart . The Zica figures are best for loose collectors

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Just for clarification CTVT and FTC are the same identity. Always has been. FTC is just the parent company. For branding purposes, I believe they use the CTVT site for selling more of the individual pieces.

Comment

• daz71
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by MIB41
                  Just for clarification CTVT and FTC are the same identity. Always has been. FTC is just the parent company. For branding purposes, I believe they use the CTVT site for selling more of the individual pieces.
                  i would buy a lot more from ctvt if it weren't for their shipping rates to the u.k. you have to spend $40 then the postage is over $20 with doc mego you can get as much or little as you like and thr postage is $7

Comment

• Paladin
                    • Oct 26, 2015

Okay, boots and belt good, bodies and clothes bad.

I can live with that. The KISS boots would be a problem for me to recreate so that's a relief. As far as the clothes go, are they just poorly sewn? If so I can handle that. Thanks all, you have really helped me out more than I had anticipated.

Comment

• JediJaida
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 14, 2008

No, they aren't poorly sewn, it's that their bodies are somewhat smaller than either Doc's or the Type S. That means that the clothes don't fit well, except for some of the body suits, which are stretchier.

If you want REALLY well fitting clothes for the Type S, I highly recommend Theressa here on this board. She does GREAT stuff! I've asked her to make stuff for me, and she ALWAYS follows through! The clothes fit great, and look good even when they aren't on the figure.
                      JediJaida

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^ This is a valuable clarification. Most newer FTC clothing is well tailored but sized for their slightly smaller repro Mego-style body. Sometimes the fabric choice is poor in relation to scale, and sometimes with knits, cutting on the bias is ignored, But in general, FTC has done a nice job with clothing.

And yes, member Theressa's craftsmanship is excellent.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

I've put FTC clothing on type 2 Mego bodies and haven't had to many problems, but I wouldn't attempt
                          to dress Doc Mego bodies or type S bodies with FTC clothes, they will tear or rip at the seams the clothes
                          are to small.

Comment

• mego
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 16, 2012

Classictvtoys.com has the kiss boots for sale for $2 a pair or $7 for a set. They're nice quality. Shipping does raise the price though...

Comment

• darkbros
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by JediJaida

If you want REALLY well fitting clothes for the Type S, I highly recommend Theressa here on this board. She does GREAT stuff! I've asked her to make stuff for me, and she ALWAYS follows through!
                              I agree, but of late she hasn't been answering emails or PMs. I'm still trying to get her "hired" to make some clothing for me, but last I heard she was only interested in selling "in stock stuff" and not doing custom orders
                              (translation: her Star Trek and Catwoman dresses).......
                              Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                              https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                              "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎