X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paladin
    • Oct 26, 2015

Painting original / FTC heads

Hey all,

New guy here, I found this site by complete accident, but I'm glad I did. I'm a life-long fan of Mego and Kiss. I always wanted the guys from the group to stand side by side with my heroes but in the 12" scale it wasn't happening. Now that that is a reality thanks to FTC I'm in my glory, with one exception, The Fox. I already sent them an email explaining that this grievous oversight should be rectified forthwith, I'd like to encourage all others like-minded to do the same. But a custom is my first and most likely best option. While I'm a deft hand with a needle and thread for a custom costume, I know for certain, that painting a head will look like i did it during a 6 on the rictur scale. I'm going to try however, and I'm looking for some advice on paint to use on the roto heads that won't crack and/or peel when I pose the figure. Any advice would be very appreciated. I'm in no rush, I haven't even decided which of the seven heads will be the donor for Mr. Carr yet or which outfit I will make first, but I expect the process to really begin after the holidays. Thanks all, glad I found you during my re-mego.

Michal
    Last edited by Paladin; Oct 29, '15, 1:18 PM.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Welcome to the museum!
    Painting the heads is very tricky. Hopefully you get some great advice here.
    Last edited by LonnieFisher; Oct 29, '15, 2:14 PM.

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

i use acrylic paints but i'm no expert.

Comment

• Paladin
        • Oct 26, 2015

Thanks guys,
        I tried to use the search, but the results seem to be directed towards the cast resin heads. I just read an article on cutting and styling doll hair so I think I'm pretty prepared on that front.

BTW Daz, does the acrylic crack if you squeeze the head?

Comment

• lilbrosj66
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 4, 2011

From my own experience, Acrylic paint does crack and start to peel if subjected to repeated squeezing or moving of the head. I do a lot of re-roots and typically paint the scalp to match the hair and with all of the work that re-rooting requires, the scalp paint always ends up peeling/cracking somewhat. Use high quality paint whatever you do. If done right, it can last and look pretty great. I'm sure a sealer coat and top coat in either flat or eggshell would help prevent this.

Comment

• Paladin
            • Oct 26, 2015

Thanks Lilbro, I'm hoping to have my first set of the band early next month, and I think I'm going to use the DTK Catman release for my Fox custom head. I'm checking the net now to see if I can find a quality paint. Dupli-color makes one designed for flexible bumper covers in both black and white, I may check that out.

Comment

• daz71
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2014

i use a matt varnish to seal it .on heads it seems to work ok but on boots chips straight off.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎