X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Who else here works in the comics biz?

It seems like theres quite a few of you folks who work, or dabble, in the comics biz. Heres your chance to stand and be recognized! Let us know what you have done, and if possible, show us your work!
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • cobaltkatdrone
    • Jan 8, 2008

Hi Captain.

I'm trying to start in the comic biz, right now I do a web-comic kat-nap.com which I have an ad for as my signature (go shameless self promotion ). I'm putting the first story together into mini issue.

I'm working on starting a comic company, right now I'm writing and doing some character designs.

I have a deviant art gallery Here
    http://cobaltkatdrone.deviantart.com/gallery/

with some random stuff, some new, most old so far.

So not a pro, yet but working at it.

Later

Greg
    CKD

Comment

• davidb
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 9, 2007

Wish I was. I've had a couple of ideas for books I've shopped around to small companies, but no nibbles. Of course, the companies I've talked to usually wind up vanishing a couple of months later, so I guess it's for the best...

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

Are you primarily an artist, or a writer David?

Good Luck with the comic strip (and company) Greg....Cats with too much free time can never lead to anything good. Whenever my Sister's Cat is sitting around doing nothing, I believe he is in reality plotting his next evil scheme (which usually involves waiting for me to visit so he can attack me, or claw up my jacket, or something along those lines)!
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

Once upon a time I dreamed of Working for the big two but quickly got tired of their run arounds and moved on. I've been a Freelance Artist since 89 and have no desire to work for them.
          Last edited by kingdom warrior; Apr 8, '08, 8:37 AM.

Comment

• davidb
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2007

Originally posted by Captain
            Are you primarily an artist, or a writer David?

Good Luck with the comic strip (and company) Greg....Cats with too much free time can never lead to anything good. Whenever my Sister's Cat is sitting around doing nothing, I believe he is in reality plotting his next evil scheme (which usually involves waiting for me to visit so he can attack me, or claw up my jacket, or something along those lines)!
            Writer. Believe me, I can't even draw a straight line.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I've worked for several companies you've never heard of, and a few you have.

Penciler for Illusion Stuidos and Newbreed Comix,
              Penciler, inker, co-plotter for Shooting Star Comics (also partner in the company).
              Penciler for one issue of AC Comics FemForce (I hope to do more one day. Thems good people!)
              Currently working on package art and design for Castaway's Captain Action and Phantom figure series.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• steshell
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jan 20, 2008

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                Once upon a time I dreamed of Working for the big two but quickly got tired of their run arounds and moved on. I've been a Freelance Artist since 89 and have no desire to work for them.
                WOW!!!, that's some really sweet artwork you've posted.
                Do you have any more examples of your work online?

Steve

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by steshell
                  WOW!!!, that's some really sweet artwork you've posted.
                  Do you have any more examples of your work online?

Steve
                  Thanks! I have an online gallery here:

mratomicthunder gallery - International Art Gallery

Comment

• Airdave817
                    Satellite Monitor Duty
                    • May 31, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    I've worked for several companies you've never heard of, and a few you have.

Penciler, inker, co-plotter for Shooting Star Comics (also partner in the company).

Chris

Shooting Star Comics were awesome! Although I only heard of them recently and picked up maybe one or two issues at Jimmy Jams. I met Michael Hutchison - who is a very nice guy! Aym Geronimo, The Golden Hornet and Nick Landime (say his name reallyfast for a big laugh!) were probably my favorite characters.

Okay, I have to admit I liked Nick Landime and The Golden Hornet the best...there was one character that was a lot like Plastic Man, like Scribble or something...I followed the 'net stip for a while...

Good stuff!!
                    Shameless self-promotion -
                    Earth-Dave
                    KROC-FM
                    Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• Adam West
                      Museum CPA
                      • Apr 14, 2003

I have a good friend who worked as a graphic designer for the same company I used to work for. He is a phenomenal artist.

I remember he wanted to start a comic strip...not a comic book and used to ink a few ideas and ask for my opinion.

The drawings were stunning but his sense of humor would never work. I tried to tell him in a nice way but couldn't find the right words. I let the companies he sent his ideas into tell him.

But it all ended well. His wife has a good job and he ended up leaving the workforce and becoming a stay at home dad. He now does original watercolors and got off to a bit of a rocky start....they were good but appealed to a certain type of person. I suggested that he start painting some scenes of local buildings and landscapes that would appeal to a local audience and sure enough it paid off. Now he sells his paintings for $1,000 or $2,000 a piece and he's getting a lot of local recognition. He said it takes him about 20 hours or so to do a painting start to finish but it is more a labor of love than it is to make a living.
                      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Shooting Star Comics were awesome! Although I only heard of them recently and picked up maybe one or two issues at Jimmy Jams. I met Michael Hutchison - who is a very nice guy! Aym Geronimo, The Golden Hornet and Nick Landime (say his name reallyfast for a big laugh!) were probably my favorite characters.

Okay, I have to admit I liked Nick Landime and The Golden Hornet the best...there was one character that was a lot like Plastic Man, like Scribble or something...I followed the 'net stip for a while...

Good stuff!!
                        Ah! A SSC fan! I'm still buds with all those guys. Good bunch of folks to hang out with and make comics with. Erik's Nick Landime was a hoot. Me and him worked on a story about Nick's dad. Unfortunately, it never saw the light of day. Maybe one day.

The Plastic Man-Scribble guy was my guy, Yankee Doddle. Me and Scott Hileman and Ethan Colchamiro had a ball on that one. We had a lot more episodes planned, but we just weren't getting enough of a response out of it to keep it going. It's a rough market out there for comic companies other than the big dogs.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Airdave817
                          Satellite Monitor Duty
                          • May 31, 2007

I loved Yankee Doodle! Loved it! What caught my eye was the art. The square, lantern-jaw. It reminded me of Parobeck's stuff on JSA and Batman. The stories rocked! That's why I compared it to Plastic Man. Hijinx!

Shameless self-promotion -
                          Earth-Dave
                          KROC-FM
                          Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                          "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎