X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tiinacat
    Museum Patron
    • Feb 4, 2015

Marvel Figures

I finally broke down and bought Zica bodies to go with Diamond select figures. (get the glow in the dark ones, they are 2 dollars cheaper and most figures you don't see glowing bits) From being very negative on my threes sets, i have to confess I am now very positive. What amazed me the most is by having to dress the bodies it forced me to do something I haven't done since the 1970's, and that is play.

I had instant flashbacks as I snapped the metal on the back of the costumes and put my figures into them. Plus the figures look great. Not a fan of the spiderman set as much with it's hard plastic, and even though the packaging was awful, the company learned from it and the next sets were easier to remove costumes. I think the Peter parker is great. I have no complaints with the Capt. America, (well those damn stars, come on, really?) and besides the horrible removable mask on one of the Wolverine figures the other two are great.

Here is the point and why I post this here. I was thinking about the figures line of DC, and how much i enjoy it, buy how some figures can not even be on the same shelf with the others due to head size. I know some hope that figures get the Marvel license, but I was thinking how great, even though flawed the Marvel characters look next to my original megos. They look like they belong. And suddenly I realized that Diamond had listened to fans about packaging and changed it after one product, but there has been no change in head size with DC line.

I have bought just about every variant and figure recently, and I am not custom builder and have no interest in fixing mistakes from the company, and I think the head size on Robin in the first appearance wave made me rethink my opinion about this company. I understand factory, but how can sea ghost commander x and the diamond select all have heads in scale with the original megos and Figures Toy Company who is putting out much more product not be able to control the quality?
    Last edited by tiinacat; Sep 25, '15, 12:12 PM.
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

Good post with good points! Reminds me that I need to put my Super Collector parts together on a body, ASAP.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

these points seem to be falling on deaf ears, it continues. It seems to be less of a problem on some of the lines. I've heard the Stooges heads have issues, but have yet to see pictures to back that up.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• wise guy
        Career Member
        • Dec 29, 2014

I only buy the ones i like and skip the bad ones. It would be nice if Bizarro could get a new head, but there are good ones coming out like Scarecrow and Harley which
        I would rather get, than hoping for new head sculpts on already released figures like FA Robin

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Normally I don't engage much in these types of threads, but here I find the compare so completely off sides, I felt the need to throw in my two cents. First there is the volume. FTC puts out ten fold more figures (just from the DC license ALONE) than Diamond Select with it's Marvel retro sets. Add in the other licenses and Diamond Select is not even in this conversation. So if we take the percentage of figures FTC is making and pull out only the ones some have issue with in terms of head sizing, you're talking a fraction of the overall sampling. Factor in the subjective nature of how people perceive some of these heads (based on personal preference) and that sampling of actual errors is even smaller.

And since we’re on the topic of volume, let’s keep in mind the number of figures being made in addition to those in pre-production. I’m sure FTC has a number of quality control measures because so many of their figures come out pristine. But not every figure can be stopped if you’re in the middle of a production schedule involving a big license that also contains a deadline for using it. There’s not a company out there, including Mego itself, that didn’t have factory issues with the final product. Given FTC’s volume of new figures, their batting average is excellent.

Then you say you've bought nearly EVERY figure and variant FTC has made (which is quite the endorsement). But because you have an issue with the First Appearance Robin, you think the company is now not listening to the consumer because of this factory defect? They offer their DC characters in various vintages; offer an array of packaging options based on your preference; and even make you the winner when they bundle figures with even more custom packaging. You have options in styling, pricing, packaging, and you can even buy many of the costume parts separately. Plus they are releasing vintage playsets, vehicles, and just recently republished Ben Holcomb's amazing book about Mego figures. None of that wakes up your inner child? How on earth do you get the impression these folks don't care or are not listening?

It's a foregone conclusion that anyone who enters this business to make figures takes enormous risk. Whether it’s the good people at FTC; Paul and Zach with EMCE and Diamond Select; Jason at Bif Bang Pow; Craig at Zica; and even our good friend Brian, who has put his own hand in the fire with Brick and Captain Canuck. There are plenty more. It’s certainly not for the weak of heart and the consequences in failing can be costly on a personal level.

So this idea that people in this industry do not listen, do not care, or have a free ride to profits is a huge misconception. You bought one Robin figure for $25.00. They bought thousands of them. Who do you think has more to lose? I can assure you, when factories don’t get something right, there’s probably no one who frowns more than the people who risked their own money to have them made. But to suggest they did not listen or don’t deserve a shot at another license because of something they couldn’t control (but paid for) is digging a bit deep and making it more personal than it needs to be.

I’ve met many of the fine people at FTC at their center of operations. They DO care. They ARE working every day to make a great product. And they DO want you to be happy with everything you buy. If you walked through their operations like I did, you would never question it. And they would never have to sell you on it either. You can see it in their offices, desks, walls, and hallways. They live it. They love it. They’re all in, so don’t lose the faith. No one in the action figure business has ever run a perfect race. But FTC is sure trying to show you they love it more than anyone ever has. I believe it. And I would be ecstatic to see them grab the Marvel license.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
            So if we take the percentage of figures FTC is making and pull out only the ones some have issue with in terms of head sizing, you're talking a fraction of the overall sampling. Factor in the subjective nature of how people perceive some of these heads (based on personal preference) and that sampling of actual errors is even smaller.
            I would love to see this graphed out.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

"No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Huedell I hear there is an opening...I bet you would fill it.

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

We need a Bill Murray set of Megos from his fil,s.

Meatballs.

Scooged.

Caddyshack.

What about Bob?

Groundhog's Day.
                  JediJaida

Comment

• tiinacat
                    Museum Patron
                    • Feb 4, 2015

I for one am on board the band wagon for a Bill Murray set of figures But I will take a "Lost in Translation" and let "What about Bob?" be a variant.

As to head size: I was trying to be nice: No need to beat the dead horse on Shane Alfred Sivana Bizarro The entire 3 stooges run, 3 ) (Have all and bought at lcbs but the heads are bigger) Batman 66 identity Kull and Kane. My point was it is happening more often than not with new figures and I want to know if they have fired the factory manufacturing, apologized or plan on offering a wave of correct size heads, cause the Robin was the breaking point on a set I was really looking forward to and was disappointed in.

And that I was aghast at the set from Diamond select, but when i got them on the shelf i am overall happy. The last set from Figures I can say that about is the JLA line (well wonder woman) and that s just a costume change. I take no sides and i understand they are disappointed as well, but in a simple analogy I'm sure the Cleveland Browns are all nice people with good intentions but they fire a lot of quarterbacks and coaches.

Comment

• tiinacat
                      Museum Patron
                      • Feb 4, 2015

Huedell This is beyond brilliant

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Now there's two trolls making out.

Comment

• jayraytee
                          Career Member
                          • May 27, 2011

As we've seen before, trolls don't have to hold a negative opinion. I'd say there have been quite a few cheerleader type trolls that seem to have rose colored glasses on and jump on anyone that dares to make any kind of seemingly negative comment or feedback.

I admire those that can have objective opinions.

As for the original posters comment and the percentages point; I think it's still a good point that how is it that a company that produces say 6 figures or less can all have correct proportions and the one that has produced dozens just can't seem to get it right? Shouln't it stand to reason that the company that produces more should have more experience and in that been able to correct these issues?

I think what could actually be said is that some companies focus on quality over quantity and some companies go for quantity over quality. I use the Zica/Castaway Action Jackson as an example, it was one figure and the heads were not right so.. scrapped. Quality over quantity. FTC manufactures Alfred, Bizarro, etc and has to see the result of the manufacturing process and the heads are well out of proportion and they go ahead and put them out and churn out more and more.

The question could be asked, if DST/EMCE received say the Deadpool figures and they all had enormous heads.. would they just slap them in the packaging and ship them to customers or delay the product and have the manufacturer correct them?
                          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by jayraytee
                            As we've seen before, trolls don't have to hold a negative opinion. I'd say there have been quite a few cheerleader type trolls that seem to have rose colored glasses on and jump on anyone that dares to make any kind of seemingly negative comment or feedback.

I admire those that can have objective opinions.

As for the original posters comment and the percentages point; I think it's still a good point that how is it that a company that produces say 6 figures or less can all have correct proportions and the one that has produced dozens just can't seem to get it right? Shouln't it stand to reason that the company that produces more should have more experience and in that been able to correct these issues?

I think what could actually be said is that some companies focus on quality over quantity and some companies go for quantity over quality. I use the Zica/Castaway Action Jackson as an example, it was one figure and the heads were not right so.. scrapped. Quality over quantity. FTC manufactures Alfred, Bizarro, etc and has to see the result of the manufacturing process and the heads are well out of proportion and they go ahead and put them out and churn out more and more.

The question could be asked, if DST/EMCE received say the Deadpool figures and they all had enormous heads.. would they just slap them in the packaging and ship them to customers or delay the product and have the manufacturer correct them?
                            Jayraytee nothing Huedell says fits anything in your description. He routinely mocks because he encourages conflict. That's the only reason why he exists here. All I indicated to this individual is that EVERYONE who makes figures carries an enormous financial risk and to make such sweeping statements about their state of mind because of not being dissatisfied with every purchase was not exactly being fair or responsible in the process. His opinion on what he likes is one thing. Proclaiming that opinion to be the rationale for a company that is not listening and apparently doesn't care is something entirely different. All I attempted to do is offer some insight. ZICA/Castaway is not FTC. It's not reasonable or logical to assume FTC as a company can take over a year to sample heads. And the fact it came out that way doesn't mean they signed off on it to turn out that way. We've all seen examples (Paul and company included) where the end product was not what they thought they would get. Yet they still have to sell them now. No one wins on a factory miscue. So this idea they are sitting around enjoying this is really baseless. But to my point, I tried to inject some perspective instead of just taking sides for sake of product. This person went around that and tapped the class clown on the shoulder, which for me indicates their intent.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by jayraytee
                              I don't/won't speak on behalf of DST or EMCE, but I can make an educated guess that a factory error would just have to go out the way it is no matter which company.

I don't think Mattel held up production when there were factory problems with the Matty Collector He-Man series and you can't get much bigger than them as far as toy companies go.

Are there examples of a toy company delaying product to have the manufacturer correct them? I'm sure there are, however I can't think of any specifically.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎