X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

new 3d printer coming out next month

I wonder if this would be good for making heads. It says it has flexible resin, so that would be great for Mego style heads. It says it has great resolution. I can imagine making new wonderful stuff for the hobby that hasn't been made before. It would work so great to make helmets and armor. It's $4000 with the good service package.

It comes out this October.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

start saving your pennies, Lonnie. 4000 bucks would be a lot of resin heads from Austin.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Everybody should chip in and buy one ...

Only thing, who's treehouse does it stay in ?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

I would want to print some of the bodies I've made. With a 3d printer, bodies could easily be printed to have no rubber bands or metal hooks. Entire figures could be printed in one print. Easily altered to make more body styles.

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

Think of the possibilities! Heads at the touch of a button, and flexible as well.
          JediJaida

Comment

• MarcelloD
            • May 13, 2015

As a 3D printer owner, ill chip in my two cents:

-First, as noticed..the price. There are printers in the market out right now that can do a similar job..however, $$$ is always up in the air.
            -As someone working on designing his own bodies and printing them, it is completely possible. However, there are a ton of difficulties that go with it, such as time. Printing out a body that is about6-8 inches can take anywhere from 8 to 12 hours depending on what printer you have and the quality you wish to capture. Also material. It all depends on whether you want to be a hobbyist or a business owner.
            - I am not sure about this printer..but..most have a extruder (which pumps out the plastic) that has a life of about 200-300 hours. If you do the math from what I calculated earlier about bodies, it lets you know how much you can print. Replacing them is not hard but it can be pricey (again depending on the printer.)

Oh and..
            fun fact: if you have seen Ant Man, Hank Pym has a model of this printer in his lab

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by MarcelloD
              As a 3D printer owner, ill chip in my two cents:

-First, as noticed..the price. There are printers in the market out right now that can do a similar job..however, $$$ is always up in the air.
              -As someone working on designing his own bodies and printing them, it is completely possible. However, there are a ton of difficulties that go with it, such as time. Printing out a body that is about6-8 inches can take anywhere from 8 to 12 hours depending on what printer you have and the quality you wish to capture. Also material. It all depends on whether you want to be a hobbyist or a business owner.
              - I am not sure about this printer..but..most have a extruder (which pumps out the plastic) that has a life of about 200-300 hours. If you do the math from what I calculated earlier about bodies, it lets you know how much you can print. Replacing them is not hard but it can be pricey (again depending on the printer.)

Oh and..
              fun fact: if you have seen Ant Man, Hank Pym has a model of this printer in his lab
              as a printer owner and the first to do it for the boards...ditto ditto ditto.
              We’ve pulled off some very nice 100micron prints...and there is always still that one person who *****es and says, “I can see the lines”. :-/
              I have not offered one single solitary 3d printed bare piece because people generally expect China quality...
              The amount of labor, technique, education, patience that occur behind-the-scenes goes un-noticed.
              People think they can poke a button and whip out a part. Yea, good luck.
              My unit is sitting around 2,000 hours on it and is relatively drama-free...but it took a helluva lot to get to that point.
              I conquered the Shark...and aside for something for myself, I am probably done.

Comment

• MarcelloD
                • May 13, 2015

What printer do you have?
                I have a Rigidbot, a solidoodle press and get access to a Makerbot a few times a week.
                For quality, the makerbot is great. I still get the "lines" but XTC-3D is an amazing product that get rids of just about everything. By the time I am out making molds, the lines are gone completely.

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

^^Makerbot Rep2 with glass build plate mod. Did some RepG G-Code to achieve different temps and speeds, but the new Makerware Desktop simplified it greatly for me.
                  have used that resin product - it is ok for big pieces, but on small items (like heads) it is too thick and ya loose some detail.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎