X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffbearco
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2011

1982 Style Guide!

In case anyone missed it, this morning newsarama.com and other sites had a news story about the DC Comics 1982 Style Guide being at least partially published on Facebook.

This shows artwork that definitely seems to be the source material for many of the upcoming FTC figures!

Take a look.

JeffBearCO
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

That's great! Thanks for the link!

Comment

• fallensaviour
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 28, 2006

Excellent thank you for posting this.
      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Thank you for sharing

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I see a lot of right clicking and saving image as on my computer tonight.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mego Magyar
            Permanent Member
            • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by Brown Bear
            I see a lot of right clicking and saving image as on my computer tonight.
            Yup, 213 images!

Comment

• Toycade
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jul 8, 2014

Amazing! Thanks for posting! Makes me want to go back in time and draw super-heroes again!

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Dang, I love/hate this style guide.

I love it, because Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is so good at drawing superhero anatomy it's scary. I mean, he really is a master. If you're going to do a style guide, you could do a lot worse. These are gorgeous images.

I hate it, because... well... I hate the idea of style guides. I understand why in a modern market they are needed, but I'm always saddened when the door slams shut on off-model interpretations (or extrapolations) of our heroes and interests.

So, even though I love these images, I'm glad this didn't exist in the Mego era. Then we would have never gotten the Infantino, Swan, Adams, and other interpretations that adorned the box art. AHI's parachutists and such would be far less interesting without their kitchy, goofy art.

I wish style guides would go away. They're far too homogeneous for my tastes.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                  Custom Mego Maker
                  • Jun 3, 2007

Iconic!!!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Dang, I love/hate this style guide.

I love it, because Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is so good at drawing superhero anatomy it's scary. I mean, he really is a master. If you're going to do a style guide, you could do a lot worse. These are gorgeous images.

I hate it, because... well... I hate the idea of style guides. I understand why in a modern market they are needed, but I'm always saddened when the door slams shut on off-model interpretations (or extrapolations) of our heroes and interests.

So, even though I love these images, I'm glad this didn't exist in the Mego era. Then we would have never gotten the Infantino, Swan, Adams, and other interpretations that adorned the box art. AHI's parachutists and such would be far less interesting without their kitchy, goofy art.

I wish style guides would go away. They're far too homogeneous for my tastes.
                    I get where you're coming from. I think in 1982, even though the images were now the same all over, the colors and overall layout of packaging could still be different from product to product. At some point all that changed, with even background colors now dictated on everything.

I remember one of the very first things I ever had with the JLGL Style Guide art was a Batman and Robin kite. I do believe I got it in 1982 as well.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 4, 2011

Wow! That is so great! Thanks for posting the link.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

This is what I WANT to see from FTC!!

sigpic

Comment

• mlowitt
                          • Aug 26, 2014

Anybody download all the pics yet? If so, can you post a link to save me some time?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

This is wonderful stuff, so many childhood memories--not the least of which is Super Powers. I noticed some things especially:

*Valley-Girl Supergirl (ugh)
                            *Mr. Mind--hooray for the MSOE!
                            *El Dorado--do you think he could've been a Super Powers figure?
                            *Penguin kicking Dr. Sivana for being off-model elsewhere
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

*El Dorado--do you think he could've been a Super Powers figure?
                              This version of El Dorado with the big jewel thing in his chest was based on designs for the unproduced Super Powers figure.

chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎