X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoth70
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 17, 2008

neca series 3 apes have arrived here in uk

hi all well finally I have my set of series 3 neca apes here in uk..

and........................ im well happy I think they look superb ....

Last edited by scoth70; Jul 23, '15, 5:37 PM.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I'm getting bombarded with video game ads while trying to view your photos. It's ridiculous.
    Use the Mego Museum uploader or please find another image hosting service.

Comment

• scoth70
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 17, 2008

mmm yes it didn't used to do this on image bam ... ive now uploaded to another ..see if you have better results
      Last edited by scoth70; Jul 23, '15, 5:38 PM.

Comment

• Judson's
        • Oct 23, 2007

Awesome! I just ordered the Caesar (they're selling them individually at gohastings.com).

Now that I've seen them I gotta go back and order the gorillas too.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by scoth70
          mmm yes it didn't used to do this on image bam ... ive now uploaded to another ..see if you have better results
          MUCH better...thank you! Now that I was actually able to look at them...they're great! They even got Aldo's bloodshot eyes!
          I seem to recall Claude Akins saying the makeup irritated them. These are so incredibly well done, I really hope they continue.

Comment

• scoth70
            Persistent Member
            • Oct 17, 2008

yes you must ..there all impressive

Originally posted by Judson's
            Awesome! I just ordered the Caesar (they're selling them individually at gohastings.com).

Now that I've seen them I gotta go back and order the gorillas too.

Comment

• scoth70
              Persistent Member
              • Oct 17, 2008

yes I will buy what they make ..if they carry on with any more of this line.. I hope they do more too but I guess sales decide on that

Originally posted by enyawd72
              MUCH better...thank you! Now that I was actually able to look at them...they're great! They even got Aldo's bloodshot eyes!
              I seem to recall Claude Akins saying the makeup irritated them. These are so incredibly well done, I really hope they continue.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 22, 2011

Just got my set in the mail today. They are awesome. It will be a shame if these don't continue. Has anyone heard how well they have sold ?

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Unfortunately they were the worst selling SDCC exclusive. The remaining stock is being pushed out to TRU/Hastings and they are working on adding them to the eBay store. At least the scalpers will get the shaft.

Over the past few days Randy has said the line is near (just awaiting official company announcement?) dead and cited the classic movies just being too old with a small audience.

Such a shame with Julius, Veska, Urko, TV-Soldier 3-Pack, Ape-O-nauts, and additional Soldiers with new accessories canned. He mentioned we can visit the prototypes in their studio tour. :(

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ That's a shame. You know as time goes by, the shows (and movies like Apes) we grew up with are becoming less and less relatable to the current generation. I think there is appreciation for the films, but I don't think that always translates into a means to spawn merchandise on a mass scale. I think it's a very niche market. And even within that market you have subcategories as to who will buy what. I'm more Mego-minded so the Apes figures with cloth outfits appealed to me much more than the slightly smaller painted scaled figures. If all the characters in that scale had been originally presented in the Mego style, I would have bought them all. As it was, the ones I did get in the painted style (Ursus & the soldier apes) were Christmas gifts. I liked them and cosmetically they looked very cool, but at the end of the day (and with space playing a huge role) I had to stay put with the Mego crop and let those pass. Buyers have such an enormous array of choices in scale and styling these days, it's a virtual smorgasbord of pop culture product. I think sometimes when companies consider older licenses to make figures, they need to consider it's audience and what they relate with when designing them. I don't know if making all the apes into the Mego style would have served them better, but I think it would have hit more of a nerve with the original fans. I would have flipped had they started out with the television show in Mego style. I still believe that is a enormously overlooked piece in the license because of it's short run in the 70's. But even then it spawned allot of product from Mego and other companies. I think if anyone ever considers this license again, they should start with the television series. It's so iconic and yet barely touched.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I guess that's why the 8" retro Apes are also over?
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                        I guess that's why the 8" retro Apes are also over?
                        If you look at the product offering, the main focus was not on the Mego hybrids, so I doubt those sales could cover the losses of the primary investment.

Comment

• scoth70
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 17, 2008

yes such a shame.... the line I think are great and was looking forward to Julius ...and the conquest Orangutan and more... to add to what I have collected

I will try to build more conquest apes up if I can get them in singles at a reasonable price... and make mix some up as customs

if anyone has fbook heres the neca ape page to take a look at with pics and threads https://www.facebook.com/necaapes?fref=ts

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Part of the problem is today's youth. Most of them are simply not interested in anything they deem "old". They are too busy with the latest electronics and new "tech".
                            The NECA Apes were incredibly well done and should have been able to not only stand on their own merits, but actually generate interest in the classic films.
                            The classic Apes film and television series ended only 40 years ago, but to today's generation it may as well be 400 years.
                            When our generation was growing up in the 70's we were buying toys based on Universal monster films from the 1930's and 40's. Even Star Trek and Batman were a decade old when we played with our Megos. We didn't care. We embraced movies and TV from the past...something most of today's kids simply will not do.
                            I almost curse the day when video games were invented. They have stripped away so much of what it meant to be a kid, and the worst part is, the current generation who has grown up with the damn things have absolutely no idea what they're missing out on.

Comment

• houseofdracula
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 11, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              Part of the problem is today's youth. Most of them are simply not interested in anything they deem "old". They are too busy with the latest electronics and new "tech".
                              The NECA Apes were incredibly well done and should have been able to not only stand on their own merits, but actually generate interest in the classic films.
                              The classic Apes film and television series ended only 40 years ago, but to today's generation it may as well be 400 years.
                              When our generation was growing up in the 70's we were buying toys based on Universal monster films from the 1930's and 40's. Even Star Trek and Batman were a decade old when we played with our Megos. We didn't care. We embraced movies and TV from the past...something most of today's kids simply will not do.
                              I almost curse the day when video games were invented. They have stripped away so much of what it meant to be a kid, and the worst part is, the current generation who has grown up with the damn things have absolutely no idea what they're missing out on.
                              I couldn't agree with you more!
                              You are absolutely correct!

I have a 17 year old Son and if it's not about Baseball or X Box, he doesn't care.
                              He grew up in a house where I built the AURORA Monster Model kits.
                              I didn't just build them, I'd won awards for my buildups and at one time was making good money building them for other people.
                              My Son couldn't have cared less.

Many of you have seen the Batcave that I built for my Batman 66 figures (FTC).
                              He says, "Dad, I don't care about Dolls".

As far as the Apes go,...
                              There was a time when the Apes were everywhere.
                              I mean, in 1973 -74, the Apes really DID rule the earth.
                              Aside from the Mego figures, there were the ADDAR Model kits, banks, trash cans, coloring books,...
                              It was just Ape Mania!

These Neca apes are the BEST action figures that I've ever owned, they look freakin' incredible.
                              Yet, the line wasn't selling.
                              What a shame.
                              The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
                              https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎