X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

VintageMike's Meet-Offical wrap up

Finally made it home yesterday, but was still too tired to do an "official" wrap up to post. Probably no way to keep this from going long but I am going to try just just hit on a few things to keep this at a reasonable length. One thing hasn't changed, as soon as I was into the second day drive I knew I'd blink and it would be over and it was. If there wasn't photographic proof I'd swear I just dream these happen. The only time the event "slowed down" for me was waiting for Mark Huckabone to set up Saturday. More on that later.

1-The new location itself. All in all this was a dream. The only downside was the traffic you hit once you actually get into Chicago and the fact that some familiar faces couldn't join us this year. I can deal with the first as the rest of the trip was smooth as silk since it mostly 1-80. Even the roadwork I encountered didn't seem to slow things up as much as it did during the Wheeling trip. Spreading the drive over two days was largely a plus for me as I get to start the trip earlier. Usually I am just going nuts with anticipation until the Thursday drive. It also gives me an excuse to add days coming back which is welcome. As for the second Hopefully as the new location becomes the norm more folks will be able to join us again. It WAS great to see some old faces such as Charlie return.

2-The better selection. While I've managed to come away with good stuff every year, one of my laments the last few years in Wheeling was I would save, but many of the good pieces available in my earlier years of attendance were nowhere to be found. This year I figured the move would pay off with better selection and it did in spades. I saved accordingly. Tons of great vintage stuff with Saturday being the capper. Mark arrived Saturday and this happened..

So cool to not only get that piece but be able to share right away with friends and people who get it.

3-New faces. First off bad on me that I did not introduce myself to enough of the new people I saw. Will have to remedy that next year. Was especially great to see the excitement of Ariel who flew in from Puerto Rico, getting pics with everyone having them sign his book. It was truly special. Also great to finally meet folks like Chris Jeffreys.

4-My Mego family! The #1 reason for going. Everything about why this trip was so special was evident even before I checked in. I pulled into the Double Tree parking lot, where I was immediately greeted by Chris Hummell with Stacy and Scott A in their car. I decided to wait on checking in so I go go with them to Aw Yeah comics where were met up with Art. Set the tone for what was an unbelievable trip. This is what it's about: hanging with friends and talking about stuff you usually don't get a chance too. Enjoyed some great meals and conversation along with the way with Lee, Rob T., Dan P. The Liggottis, ScottA and Derek R. Some were at the now infamous IHOP and the too awesome for words Portillo's. Also enjoyed the "collectibles" tour Saturday with Chris, Ed L. and Scott A. Promised to keep it reasonable so I'll end by saying it nothing but a pleasure to see and/or talk to Brian, Paul W. Scott Adams, The Gordys, Paul C., Ed Nagy, Brue, David Lee, Scott P., Steve Moore, and Austin. If I forgot anyone, my apologies. I'm still not at 100% capacity.
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

Well Said!!! And there is nothing like coming away with some vintage Mego AWESOMNESS!!! Great Get Mike and glad you had a safe trip both ways!

Comment

• Boywonder0
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 29, 2007

Nice meeting you Mike! Congrats on your scores at MM2015!

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by VintageMike
        3-New faces. First off bad on me that I did not introduce myself to enough of the new people I saw. Will have to remedy that next year. Was especially great to see the excitement of Ariel who flew in from Puerto Rico, getting pics with everyone having them sign his book. It was truly special. Also great to finally meet folks like Chris Jeffreys.
        Hey, it was great to meet you too sir! I too am sorry I didn't get a chance to meet or introduce myself to a bunch of folks too, I was kind of overwhelmed by so many new faces. I'm not exactly a social animal by nature, and after awhile I start to get intimated/shy by the volume of unknown people. But I guess that's what next year will be for!

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Thanks for helping me Collect 'Em All!

Great Supergirl!

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

Always a pleasure sir. And thank you again for the Robin framed print. It was most appreciated.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
              70's Era Pimp
              • Sep 7, 2011

Mike, it is always a pleasure hanging with you. Our Toy Trek was a splendid time!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎