X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarcelloD
    • May 13, 2015

A question regarding head shrinking

Hey guys,
    long time lurker who finally decided to make an account and post.

I have a few 1/12 heads that I would like to shrink down to MEGO size for some customs.
    I have experience handling acetone and most of the info I have seen points to using that.
    However, from previous experience, acetone can be complicated..if you expose your product to it too long..it might just get disintegrated completely.
    How long should I leave my heads soaking in acetone? I am sure it differs based on the head but an estimate would be nice. Really appreciate it!
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Welcome to the museum.
    Shrinking is done based on individual heads. Some heads are thicker from the factory (with Mego heads) so soak time depends on how thick it is. I've soaked heads for a very short amount of time and had them fall apart in the acetone. Some I've had to soak twice to get to shrink.
    1/12 is smaller than Mego. Mego 8" are 1/9th scale. I think 1/12 scale is 6"figure size.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

If you mean heads from 12" figures (1/6th scale) then you can't shrink them down to an eight inch figure. They won't shrink enough.

Comment

• MarcelloD
        • May 13, 2015

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        If you mean heads from 12" figures (1/6th scale) then you can't shrink them down to an eight inch figure. They won't shrink enough.
        Sorry 12" is what I meant.
        Thank you for the answer. What is the biggest head you have been able to shrink down to mego size?

Comment

• Carmelkettle
          Museum Patron
          • May 26, 2015

You really need to test EVERY head and be prepared for damaged or unusable heads. Which means having duplicates of every head. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but better safe than sorry. Also know that when you are successful, it changes the properties of the plastic so it's usually more hard and brittle. Also some paints won't completely dissolve but will run and smear. I haven't collected or customized 1/6 figures in years, but with all the great sculptors and molds out there now, I'd say just look for the head you want in scale unless you really, really want to attempt the 'try and see' approach to shrinking. Good luck!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

1/8th scale shrinks to about 1/9th scale.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

You can make a mold of 1:6 head and then pour a shrinking silicone called hydrospan 400. Pretty fun to do. But be prepared to do cleanup of your cast once it is in right scale.
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

I wish hydrospan had a longer pot life!

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

Yes 30 seconds to stir and 1 minute before it sets. No time to worry about bubbles!
                  Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                  Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                  1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                  1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Sounds like a convention of head hunters.

Comment

• MarcelloD
                      • May 13, 2015

Originally posted by jessica
                      You can make a mold of 1:6 head and then pour a shrinking silicone called hydrospan 400. Pretty fun to do. But be prepared to do cleanup of your cast once it is in right scale.
                      Thanks! sounds promising. I have experience making copies of my heads..but..do you have any links to tutorials you recommend for leaning how to use hydrospan 400?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

This isn't hydrospan, but looks promising.
                        Learn how to shrink a mold to reduce the size of an already existing original. Through a simple mold making technique, you can shrink a mold by nearly 25 pe...

Using Mold Star 16 and NOVOCS silicone solvent, you can shrink a mold uniformly 20% smaller. This quick video demonstrates the process. Repeat the process fo...
                        Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jun 7, '15, 2:34 AM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Demonstration of shrinking size reducing urethane casting resin Hydrospan 400 is manufactured by Industrial Polymers Corporation USA. www.industrialpolymers....

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Demonstration of expanding three dimensionally molded parts.Manufactured by Industrial Polymers Corporation USA. www.industrialpolymers.com 713-943-8451 800-...

Comment

• MarcelloD
                              • May 13, 2015

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I have some research and ordering to do haha

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎