PDA

View Full Version : Where Are You Eating?

Donkey Hoatie
May 26, '15, 4:44 PM
Hi all,

Never been to a Mego Meet before, so I don't know what kind of dining options people are looking for. Seeing as how I've lived a couple of miles away from Skokie my entire life, I thought I'd take a few moments to list a couple of different places you could eat while you're there. Everything is walking distance from the hotel and is limited to more casual-type places (but not typical fast food places like McDonald's, etc.). The easiest place to eat is Jameson's, which is attached to the hotel. But, it's kind of pricey, and I think there are much better options out there for your budget and your tastebuds.

I'm starting with my 2 favorite places:

1. Frontera Fresco in Old Orchard Mall. This is kitty-corner to hotel and attached to the Macy's store in the mall. Rick Bayless owns the place and has a couple of real dynamite sandwiches here. His Cubana torta is the second-best sandwich I've ever had in my life. Easily. Tortas run about $9. 2 tacos will set you back about $7-8. Tamales, salads, soups, and a couple of other items are available. Less than .5 miles from the door of the hotel.

2. Portillo's. It's a chain of places, mostly in Illinois, but a couple of spots in Indiana, California, and Arizona. If you've never had an Italian Beef sandwich, you are missing out. Get it with cheese, sweet peppers, and au jus and thank me later. They've also got burgers, dogs, chicken sandwiches, fish sandwiches, Polish sausage, and a ton of other stuff. Apparently, their milkshakes and chocolate cake are to die for, but since I've been trying to avoid sugar for years, I can neither confirm nor deny this. It's all really good. A sandwich, fries, and drink will run you about $12. Less than .25 miles from the hotel.

Old Orchard Mall

http://www.westfield.com/oldorchard/center-info/map/

There are a bunch of places in the mall to eat, aside from Frontera Fresco. You can click on the link above to see the whole shopping center selections, but some noteworthy dining places include:

Corner Bakery
Potbelly Sandwiches
Noodles and Company
Epic Burger
Johnny Rockets
California Pizza Kitchen
Uncle Julio's
Cheesecake Factory
Buffalo Wild Wings
Maggiano's
Blaze Pizza
Starbucks

Over by the Portillo's are a couple of other places, namely:
Chipotle
Jimmy John's
IHOP

plus there's a Chinese place and a Thai place over there I haven't tried.

Also, there's a grocery store (Jewel) pretty much right behind the hotel where you can grab anything you might want for snacks and whatnot for your room.

Let me know if you need details or clarification on anything. Or, if you have something particular in mind (i.e. deep dish pizza). I can let you know what else is around in walking distance, or short driving distance.

Random Axe
May 26, '15, 5:13 PM
I'm open for anything. Austin is taking me somewhere to have authentic Chicago pizza, something I have only seen on television. Beyond that no specifics. I'll try the Chinese place cause I can always make room for general tso.

Donkey Hoatie
May 26, '15, 5:21 PM
I'd assume he's either taking you to Lou Malnati's, Pizzerio Uno, or Eduardo's. Can't go wrong with any of those place. I personally prefer Lou Malnati's, but they are all pretty great. Lots of smaller places around that serve the deep dish as well. Bring your appetite, cause you're going to need it.

VintageMike
May 26, '15, 5:48 PM
Last I was in Chicago my group ate at Giordano's. So I'd be up for that. But really I'm probably see where various groups are going and pick from there.

SentientApe
May 26, '15, 5:59 PM
I strongly recommend Giordano's for Chicago-style deep-dish pizza, but you cannot go wrong with Lou Malnati's (my father just retired from their corporate office) and Eduardo's was my personal favorite before I really discovered Giordano's.

Regarding Portillo's, you would be remiss if you did not order their "Chicago Dog" (I have them hold the peppers -- I am not a fan -- and get extra celery salt). Alternately, their chili dog is to die for.

noelani72
May 26, '15, 6:36 PM
I'm open for anything. Austin is taking me somewhere to have authentic Chicago pizza, something I have only seen on television. Beyond that no specifics. I'll try the Chinese place cause I can always make room for general tso.

pizza? someone say Pizza? Ohhh you better count me in ;-)

Random Axe
May 26, '15, 6:58 PM
pizza? someone say Pizza? Ohhh you better count me in ;-)

Hey, if you and boy want some I can bring you Larosa's pizza sauce. They started selling it in their locations.

ScottA
May 26, '15, 7:20 PM
We're gonna need a bigger car.

Bronxboykev
May 27, '15, 12:54 AM
3 musts on this trip... Last I was in Chicago we had Deep dish at Giordanos... Gotta hit Al's for Italian Beef sandwiches... And what would be a trip to Chicago without Harry Cary's Chicago Hot Dogs and house cooked potatoe chips... They still do the chips don't they??? Good grief I hope I leave some time for the Meet lol

Donkey Hoatie
May 27, '15, 11:01 AM
Oh, there are about a bajillion good places to eat in the nearby area. I was trying to limit the posting to just walking-distance places so I could accommodate the wheel-less.

If you're looking to drive somewhere for something great, let me know. If you tell me what kind of food you're looking for and how far you're willing to travel, I can probably point you in the right direction. Or, if you're trying to decide between a couple of places, I can help you narrow it down.

Toyman_Chris
May 27, '15, 8:37 PM
I am getting in Thursday early. Planning on seeing who all is in and wha they wanna do. Up for anything.

noelani72
May 31, '15, 6:02 PM
i don’t see where our hotel offers breakfast...maybe I’ll bring my skillet to go along with my Keurig for my room...

Bronxboykev
May 31, '15, 7:40 PM
I thought I saw a breakfast set up scrolling thru the photos... Might not be included but available... When you get there it doesn't hurt to ask if this applies to us

ScottA
May 31, '15, 8:05 PM
It better have breakfast.

WannabeMego
May 31, '15, 10:49 PM
Spoke with a very close friend (born & raised in Chicago) and asked for some recommendations...and this is what I got:

Portillo's ( http://www.portillos.com ): Italian Beef & Italian Hot Dog's
Vito & Nick's ( http://vitoandnicks.com ): Thin Crust (Squared) Pizza (more my style)
Lou Malnatis' ( http://www.loumalnatis.com ): Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

He also mentioned Giordano's & (The Original) Pizzeria Uno (Downtown) as alternative Deep Dish Pizza Places.

Now if someone can recommend a Good (Traditional) Bagel Place...I'm set for the Weekend :biggrin:

Random Axe
May 31, '15, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I can see pizza on my menu several times. Might as well experience as much as I can while I'm here, so it's a different place for every meal.

noelani72
Jun 1, '15, 5:53 AM
I thought I saw a breakfast set up scrolling thru the photos... Might not be included but available... When you get there it doesn't hurt to ask if this applies to us

It better have breakfast.

I saw that add - made me think we had to sign up and pay for it, but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and prolly not the last. I can have Sean call them today and find out unless yall beat me to it.

palitoy
Jun 1, '15, 6:23 AM
As a one time frequent visitor to Chicago, I can tell you Portillo's is awesome. There is one within walking distance of AYMM and that is where you will find me.

Donkey Hoatie
Jun 1, '15, 8:25 AM
As a one time frequent visitor to Chicago, I can tell you Portillo's is awesome. There is one within walking distance of AYMM and that is where you will find me.

That Portillo's is almost literally across the street from the hotel. You could walk it in probably less than 5 minutes. Everybody should try Portillo's once. It's that good.

Donkey Hoatie
Jun 1, '15, 8:30 AM
Spoke with a very close friend (born & raised in Chicago) and asked for some recommendations...and this is what I got:

Portillo's ( http://www.portillos.com ): Italian Beef & Italian Hot Dog's
Vito & Nick's ( http://vitoandnicks.com ): Thin Crust (Squared) Pizza (more my style)
Lou Malnatis' ( http://www.loumalnatis.com ): Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

He also mentioned Giordano's & (The Original) Pizzeria Uno (Downtown) as alternative Deep Dish Pizza Places.

Now if someone can recommend a Good (Traditional) Bagel Place...I'm set for the Weekend :biggrin:

There's a bagel place right down the street from the hotel that I haven't tried. About 1 mile from the hotel is a place called New York Bagel and Bialy. Go there. Best bagels I've ever had (full disclosure: I go to a different New York Bagel and Bialy, but they're all run the same). Take Skokie Blvd south until you hit Dempster. Make a left and go down about 1/2 mile.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-york-bagel-and-bialy-corp-skokie-2

WannabeMego
Jun 1, '15, 6:39 PM
Thanx...Good to Know.

A friend of mine, who happens to be a Rabbi, just got back to me and recommended:

Kaufman's ( http://kaufmansdeli.com ): Bagels & Deli

...all this talk about food, I'm gonna come back 20 lbs heavier...OYE!!!

SentientApe
Jun 1, '15, 7:01 PM

There's a small store called "Bagels and Bialys" on Dempster Road in Skokie, that offers same-day cooked goods. I was introduced to the place some time in the late sixties, and it is still there. I must confess I have not eaten there in many years, but it was where I first fell in love with fresh bagels.

Edit (in a moment) to include the address...

New York Bagel & Bialy, 3556 Dempster, Skokie -- (847)673-9388

SentientApe
Jun 1, '15, 7:09 PM
Oops... I should have read through all the comments before posting that, but I'll leave it be, as it is a much-deserved endorsement along with the others.

Darn... now I'm craving a fresh bagel...

Flynne
Jun 1, '15, 11:09 PM
...all this talk about food, I'm gonna come back 20 lbs heavier...OYE!!!

Aw yeah, Mego Meet 20!!! :)

noelani72
Jun 2, '15, 6:56 AM
No breakfast folks.
I called the hotel and breakfast is a paid option based on your reservation.
My reservation did not include the breakfast option.
If I wish to modify my reservation, I can - but breakfast is $14 per person (did not catch if that was per day or per stay) and is payable at that cafe in the hotel, or billable to my room.
Breakfast is a buffet style.
Iím bringing my Keurig for sure so I donít have to leave my room and have coffee my way...maybe Iíll bring my skillet and some sausage and eggs LOL...maybe a toaster too. haha

Friday night we usually do pizza - I am assuming that will still be the case.
Saturday we used to have the hotdogs, brownies, chips, etc....but this year we wonít have that. Should I bring a slow cooker and hotdogs? (can you tell I am hungry)

MegoGeek
Jun 2, '15, 7:18 AM
If anyone wants to get their BBQ on Thursday night or whenever there is a place about 20 minutes from the hotel that I eat at at least once a week. Pulled pork chicken brisket ribs burnt ends etc. etc. we should have enough cars to carpool there if anyone's interested.

Here is a link----> http://www.realurbanbbq.com

Random Axe
Jun 2, '15, 7:41 AM
If anyone wants to get their BBQ on Thursday night or whenever there is a place about 20 minutes from the hotel that I eat at at least once a week. Pulled pork chicken brisket ribs burnt ends etc. etc. we should have enough cars to carpool there if anyone's interested.

Anytime you put the letters b with b and then finish it with q then you have my atention.

Donkey Hoatie
Jun 2, '15, 7:58 AM

That place is really, really good. Every time I go there, I end up with the meat sweats, but in a good way.

Donkey Hoatie
Jun 2, '15, 8:00 AM
No breakfast folks.
If I wish to modify my reservation, I can - but breakfast is $14 per person (did not catch if that was per day or per stay) and is payable at that cafe in the hotel, or billable to my room.
I’m bringing my Keurig for sure so I don’t have to leave my room and have coffee my way...maybe I’ll bring my skillet and some sausage and eggs LOL...maybe a toaster too. haha

Saturday we used to have the hotdogs, brownies, chips, etc....but this year we won’t have that. Should I bring a slow cooker and hotdogs? (can you tell I am hungry)

That's a bummer about the breakfast. There's a Panera bread across the street and a Corner Bakery in the mall a short walk away. There's also a grocery store right behind the hotel if you want to stock up on stuff.

SentientApe
Jun 2, '15, 9:50 AM
...Or you could load up with a bunch of bagels...

Bronxboykev
Jun 2, '15, 11:58 AM
No breakfast folks.
Iím bringing my Keurig for sure so I donít have to leave my room and have coffee my way...maybe Iíll bring my skillet and some sausage and eggs LOL...maybe a toaster too. haha

Saturday we used to have the hotdogs, brownies, chips, etc....but this year we wonít have that. Should I bring a slow cooker and hotdogs? (can you tell I am hungry)

If it is $14 PP for the entire stay its worth it for me to add it $42 for breakfast for 3 days cant beat that, if its $14 pp per day then A pancake house hunting we will go lol

Donkey Hoatie
Jun 2, '15, 12:52 PM
If it is $14 PP for the entire stay its worth it for me to add it $42 for breakfast for 3 days cant beat that, if its $14 pp per day then A pancake house hunting we will go lol

IHOP is right across the street if you choose to go that way.

ScottA
Jun 2, '15, 11:29 PM
That sucks about the breakfast. For the money the rooms cost you'd think it would be free.

Brue
Jun 3, '15, 11:07 PM
Lily and I walked a couple blocks east of aw yeah comics after visiting today. She picked the arminian place near aw yeah games. This isn't wheeling where you have two choices. Please eat somewhere you can't eat at home.