• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donkey Hoatie
    Supporter of Silliness
    • Jun 20, 2007

Where Are You Eating?

Hi all,

Never been to a Mego Meet before, so I don't know what kind of dining options people are looking for. Seeing as how I've lived a couple of miles away from Skokie my entire life, I thought I'd take a few moments to list a couple of different places you could eat while you're there. Everything is walking distance from the hotel and is limited to more casual-type places (but not typical fast food places like McDonald's, etc.). The easiest place to eat is Jameson's, which is attached to the hotel. But, it's kind of pricey, and I think there are much better options out there for your budget and your tastebuds.

I'm starting with my 2 favorite places:

1. Frontera Fresco in Old Orchard Mall. This is kitty-corner to hotel and attached to the Macy's store in the mall. Rick Bayless owns the place and has a couple of real dynamite sandwiches here. His Cubana torta is the second-best sandwich I've ever had in my life. Easily. Tortas run about $9. 2 tacos will set you back about $7-8. Tamales, salads, soups, and a couple of other items are available. Less than .5 miles from the door of the hotel.

2. Portillo's. It's a chain of places, mostly in Illinois, but a couple of spots in Indiana, California, and Arizona. If you've never had an Italian Beef sandwich, you are missing out. Get it with cheese, sweet peppers, and au jus and thank me later. They've also got burgers, dogs, chicken sandwiches, fish sandwiches, Polish sausage, and a ton of other stuff. Apparently, their milkshakes and chocolate cake are to die for, but since I've been trying to avoid sugar for years, I can neither confirm nor deny this. It's all really good. A sandwich, fries, and drink will run you about $12. Less than .25 miles from the hotel.

Old Orchard Mall

There are a bunch of places in the mall to eat, aside from Frontera Fresco. You can click on the link above to see the whole shopping center selections, but some noteworthy dining places include:

Corner Bakery
    Potbelly Sandwiches
    Noodles and Company
    Epic Burger
    Johnny Rockets
    California Pizza Kitchen
    Uncle Julio's
    Cheesecake Factory
    Buffalo Wild Wings
    Maggiano's
    Blaze Pizza
    Starbucks

Over by the Portillo's are a couple of other places, namely:
    Chipotle
    Jimmy John's
    IHOP

plus there's a Chinese place and a Thai place over there I haven't tried.

Also, there's a grocery store (Jewel) pretty much right behind the hotel where you can grab anything you might want for snacks and whatnot for your room.

Let me know if you need details or clarification on anything. Or, if you have something particular in mind (i.e. deep dish pizza). I can let you know what else is around in walking distance, or short driving distance.
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

I'm open for anything. Austin is taking me somewhere to have authentic Chicago pizza, something I have only seen on television. Beyond that no specifics. I'll try the Chinese place cause I can always make room for general tso.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
      Supporter of Silliness
      • Jun 20, 2007

I'd assume he's either taking you to Lou Malnati's, Pizzerio Uno, or Eduardo's. Can't go wrong with any of those place. I personally prefer Lou Malnati's, but they are all pretty great. Lots of smaller places around that serve the deep dish as well. Bring your appetite, cause you're going to need it.

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

Last I was in Chicago my group ate at Giordano's. So I'd be up for that. But really I'm probably see where various groups are going and pick from there.

Comment

• SentientApe
          Career Member
          • May 1, 2014

I strongly recommend Giordano's for Chicago-style deep-dish pizza, but you cannot go wrong with Lou Malnati's (my father just retired from their corporate office) and Eduardo's was my personal favorite before I really discovered Giordano's.

Regarding Portillo's, you would be remiss if you did not order their "Chicago Dog" (I have them hold the peppers -- I am not a fan -- and get extra celery salt). Alternately, their chili dog is to die for.
          Last edited by SentientApe; Jun 1, '15, 6:55 PM.

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Random Axe
            I'm open for anything. Austin is taking me somewhere to have authentic Chicago pizza, something I have only seen on television. Beyond that no specifics. I'll try the Chinese place cause I can always make room for general tso.
            pizza? someone say Pizza? Ohhh you better count me in ;-)

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by noelani72
              pizza? someone say Pizza? Ohhh you better count me in ;-)
              Hey, if you and boy want some I can bring you Larosa's pizza sauce. They started selling it in their locations.
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

We're gonna need a bigger car.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

3 musts on this trip... Last I was in Chicago we had Deep dish at Giordanos... Gotta hit Al's for Italian Beef sandwiches... And what would be a trip to Chicago without Harry Cary's Chicago Hot Dogs and house cooked potatoe chips... They still do the chips don't they??? Good grief I hope I leave some time for the Meet lol

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                    Supporter of Silliness
                    • Jun 20, 2007

Oh, there are about a bajillion good places to eat in the nearby area. I was trying to limit the posting to just walking-distance places so I could accommodate the wheel-less.

If you're looking to drive somewhere for something great, let me know. If you tell me what kind of food you're looking for and how far you're willing to travel, I can probably point you in the right direction. Or, if you're trying to decide between a couple of places, I can help you narrow it down.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                      70's Era Pimp
                      • Sep 7, 2011

I am getting in Thursday early. Planning on seeing who all is in and wha they wanna do. Up for anything.

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

i don’t see where our hotel offers breakfast...maybe I’ll bring my skillet to go along with my Keurig for my room...

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                          Permanent Member
                          • Mar 7, 2011

I thought I saw a breakfast set up scrolling thru the photos... Might not be included but available... When you get there it doesn't hurt to ask if this applies to us
                          image.jpg

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

It better have breakfast.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• WannabeMego
                              Made in the USA
                              • May 2, 2003

Spoke with a very close friend (born & raised in Chicago) and asked for some recommendations...and this is what I got:

Portillo's ( http://www.portillos.com ): Italian Beef & Italian Hot Dog's
                              Vito & Nick's ( http://vitoandnicks.com ): Thin Crust (Squared) Pizza (more my style)
                              Lou Malnatis' ( http://www.loumalnatis.com ): Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

He also mentioned Giordano's & (The Original) Pizzeria Uno (Downtown) as alternative Deep Dish Pizza Places.

Now if someone can recommend a Good (Traditional) Bagel Place...I'm set for the Weekend
                              Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎