Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question regarding sculpting, mold-making and casting...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

A question regarding sculpting, mold-making and casting...

Don't know if this is the right place to post this particular question, but if it's not, mods please feel free to move it to it's proper location.

I know there are a whole lot of you talented folks out there who sculpt your own noggins, make molds and then create duplicates. This is something I'm interested in tackling, but have NO idea how to start.

If you find peeps would be so kind as to share materials and techniques (not asking for any secrets, just general knowledge), it would be greatly appreciated so I at least have a starting point.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Oooh! Me too! Me Too! I want to sculpt my own Creepshow characters, but don't know how to start.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hedji
      Oooh! Me too! Me Too! I want to sculpt my own Creepshow characters, but don't know how to start.
      Glad to know I'm not alone in my quest for knowledge and power!! Bwaaaaaah-haaaaa-haaaa-haaaaaaaaaa!
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Have you checked out the tutorials under Customego?

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by sprytel
          Have you checked out the tutorials under Customego?
          Actually I have, but a lot of that info seems a little---generic, I guess? I'm really interested in hearing from the masters about their materials and techniques (again, without divulging any secrets they may have to their wonderous craftsmanship)...

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 28, 2013

I cant help with the sculpting part. I use a pressure pot for my molds and casting to eliminate air bubbles, so there is a bit of cost involved for the startup for the way I do it. I have heard that some folks get good castings without air bubbles with some urethanes but I havent had any success is that regard. Lots of good videos on YouTube

The silicone mold making technique shown in this video can be used for making prop knifes, historical replicas, and more.We demonstrate using Mold Star 30 si...

You can use Lego to make a box

In this video, I show how I am able to get bubble-free casts from two part silicone molds without the use of a pressure pot. For more videos, and to see all ...

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
              I cant help with the sculpting part. I use a pressure pot for my molds and casting to eliminate air bubbles, so there is a bit of cost involved for the startup for the way I do it. I have heard that some folks get good castings without air bubbles with some urethanes but I havent had any success is that regard. Lots of good videos on YouTube

The silicone mold making technique shown in this video can be used for making prop knifes, historical replicas, and more.We demonstrate using Mold Star 30 si...

You can use Lego to make a box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMb2c9oaong
              Good videos. Do you actually know where I can find a video on using Legos to create the mold box? I have a ton of old Lego blocks sitting around...

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

where it all started for me-

http://www.megomadhouse.com/howto.html

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  Good videos. Do you actually know where I can find a video on using Legos to create the mold box? I have a ton of old Lego blocks sitting around...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎