Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the drive like to Skokie, Il. From the south?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

What's the drive like to Skokie, Il. From the south?

What's the drive like into Skokie, Il. from the south?

And are there any must visit comic/toy shops or restaurants in any of the cities on the drive from St. Louis into Skokie?

Thanks
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

Not a one.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

There's a lot of miles in-between those two places. One of my favorite restaurants in just outside of St. Louis on the Illinois side. http://www.lotawata.com/

There's a bunch of antique malls on I57 and I55 going north, if you aren't pressed for time those are usually worth stopping at.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

^Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
          Supporter of Silliness
          • Jun 20, 2007

Don't know about the stores along the way, but I can tell you to NOT be tempted by the siren song of driving through Chicago via 55 -> 90/94. It may look like you're saving a few miles, but stick to the toll road (294). It's worth spending the extra couple dollars in tolls and added miles for not sitting in traffic for a good hour or so.

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

That brings up an interesting question. I'm coming through Indianapolis. Are there toll roads coming from that direction? This will sound completely ridiculous but I've never been on a toll road. I wouldn't even know how to do it except what I've seen in movies. Am I going to have to travel with a change cup? I"m totally serious, I have not encountered these before.
            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

A Snapple bottle will do just fine. I was just curious if I'm coming in from the east if I avoid stuff like that and traffic. I'm completely unfamiliar with the area
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

I drove through Indy to Chicago to attend Wizard Con last August. Their tolls are a little different than most I have been through in that they are like mini-exits off the interstate unless you have the fast pass (or whatever it's called). Pay close attention to the signs. They give you plenty of warning it's coming. Also pay attention to the ones that say "CHANGE" in case you need to break a $5, etc. And you may have to go through a gate and get a ticket. It has the prices for the coming exits depending on where you get on and off.

My advice is to have some cash in the console at the ready so you don't have to fumble getting money out of your wallet at every stop. They are all about keeping the traffic moving. Once you do one you'll be a pro.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                  Supporter of Silliness
                  • Jun 20, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                  That brings up an interesting question. I'm coming through Indianapolis. Are there toll roads coming from that direction? This will sound completely ridiculous but I've never been on a toll road. I wouldn't even know how to do it except what I've seen in movies. Am I going to have to travel with a change cup? I"m totally serious, I have not encountered these before.
                  There are 3 different types of areas you can go through on the tollways.

1. Open-Toll area. You can ONLY drive through this one if you have a digital transponder (think: EZPass). You don't have to slow down and can drive right through them at highway speeds. These are generally all the way on the left.

2. Unmanned Tolls. These are essentially just baskets in an enclosed booth. You can only use coins in them. You slow down, throw the correct amount of change in the basket and either wait for the light or the arm to let you move forward. These are usually found on the right-hand side toll area, but on the left side of this section.

3. Manned Tolls. These are usually all the way on the far right. As expected, these are toll booths with an actual, live attendant. You can pay with cash or change. I don't think they take credit cards, as far as I know.

I wish I could tell you how much to budget for tolls. I use an IPass, so it's all done electronically. When you pay cash, your toll charges are twice as much as if it's done electronically. Depending on which road you take, the tolls can range from about $1.00 all the way up to around $5.00 for a single stop.

If you're coming from Indianapolis, I'm assuming you'd be taking I65 - I80/94 and then picking up the Skyway into Chicago (I90). The Skyway is ridiculously expensive and should be avoided. You can save about 10-15 minutes by taking 90 over 80/94, but it will end up costing you about $8 or so in cash to do so. Also, there are really no places to stop or get gas along that stretch. The roads are narrow and, you still get to drive through all the bottlenecks of Chicago once you're back on the highway. Basically, you get to pay more money to have a bunch of stops along the way. if you've never driven on a tollway before, might not be your best option.

To avoid Toll Roads in general. You could take I65 to I80/94 and then take 94 through the city all the way to the north suburbs. You will most likely get stuck in traffic at some points, but you will save the money (and, $8 each way is nothing to sneeze at when there are Megos to be bought).

If you're OK paying tolls and don't want to spend as much time sitting in traffic, you might want to take 294 (the tollway) around the city. You will still end up paying money. If I'm remembering right, it's about 5 tolls total at about $1 a pop or so. You'll probably make it in the same amount of time as if you took 94 through the city, but there's a better chance that you'll make better time in general as the tollway, outside of rush hour times, generally has a better traffic flow.

Shoot me a PM with your travel plans, and I'd be more than happy to help you devise the best route that's the most cost-efficient and comfortable with your driving style.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎