Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

CLAYFACE by ED NAGY

I always wanted a CLAYFCE in my collection

My preference when it comes to costume design is from somewhere near
    the "Mego era" and it is usually a simple costume preference--
    even if the costume is pulled from the earlier part of the BRONZE AGE
    of comics (early 1970s), closer to the tail-end of the SILVER AGE (1960s),
    if need be, for a less busy costume design.

Bill Burger---a great museum member that I don't see around here
    enough--- but will forever be indebted to, once sent me CLAYFACE pix
    from a BRONZE AGE comic that featured a super-villain team led by
    QUEEN BEE that included BRAINIAC, GRODD, SINESTRO, MERLYN, HARPY,
    and CLAYFACE.

The CLAYFACE in that comic appeared as a more "chiseled" version of his
    "goopier" SILVER AGE appearance---as a result of these two ideas for
    a CLAYFACE costume (basically a goopy clay guy in blue briefs)---THIS
    Ed Nagy version was born.

Kudos to Ed for gooping the extra mile and adding the hand/forearm
    accessories to approxiamate "clay manipulation".

Clay on, Bat-fans!

Last edited by huedell; Mar 30, '08, 1:48 PM.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

Pretty cool. I've never settled on a good Clayface look for a custom for myself.

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Cool sculpt and hands, but I would've gone without the blue briefs.
      This is similar to what Alberto did, who also made me one.
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
        Cool sculpt and hands, but I would've gone without the blue briefs.
        To each his own Thomas...

I really like this version for the "era" reasons I mentioned in my original post...

and, actually, the most appealing thing about this version---besides it
        basically being a humanoid version of the "naked" "clay" version I came to
        love in the Animated Series of recent years---is that its wearing those:
        "blue briefs"

The briefs give the custom's design an undecidedly "Silver/Bronze Age" touch,
        an era where they were attempting to get capes, briefs and chest insignias
        on as many characters as was reasonable---corny---but its very much
        ingrained in my head

(and I prefer it to the two BRONZE AGE versions that came quickly after--
        -cool looking getups---but a bit too busy for my tastes---and not as
        definitive "CLAY"face---as they don't show off the clay to any big extent)
        Last edited by huedell; Mar 30, '08, 1:50 PM.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Just to be clear: I wasn't badmouthing Ed's work, I've always been a fan of his stuff. But you're right to each his own. I like him as he appeared in Detective Comics 298 (first appearance), you like him with blue briefs. But it's still a kickass custom
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
            Just to be clear: I wasn't badmouthing Ed's work, I've
            always been a fan of his stuff. But you're right to each his own. I like him as
            he appeared in Detective Comics 298 (first appearance), you like him with
            blue briefs. But it's still a kickass custom
            No--no Thomas---I apologize if I sounded too defensive...
            I just am very passionate about "our" customs...and so when you brought
            up the point about the briefs---I was inspired to go even further into
            explaining why I chose this version...

...and you never know what conversation it may spark...especially for
            characters like this who changed costumes frequently at points over his
            history.

Incidentally, thanks for the DC 298 mention...I had a feeling
            this look originally appeared without briefs (and were added to be more
            "supervillainy" later on when it was "hipper")...but wasn't for sure.

Incidentally in cases like this...where Ed's not sure with what version to
            go with--- I have to send pix to him or describe to him what I am
            looking for--- so if there'd be any criticism on costume choice--
            it'd be towards me, and not Ed on this CLAYFACE.

And, finally, I just want to say that I know you're both a fan of BATMAN
            as well as Ed's work---so I never suspected anything negative at all about
            your post---just to be "double clear"

And thanks Thomas for the compliments---and hopefully Ed'll stop by this
            thread to say "hello"

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Oooh, that might actually change my mind and get me to do the Matt Hagan version instead of Basil Karlo. Nice work, Ed!!
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Cool looking custom. Very Megolike just the way I like to do em. Great take on the character.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• almitysufx
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 27, 2004

Thanks for posting pics Hugh. I tried to give Hugh what he asked for on this one and it came out better than I thought it would. I didn't really like him too much myself till I added the gloves. The big clay hands are Doc Mego gloves with Crayola Model Magic added then painted. Model magic is perfect for this sort of thing, it is very light and air dries to a slightly spongy foam feel. using anything else I know of makes the hands too heavy to pose.

I'm glad you're happy about them Hugh.

Comment

• megowgsh
                    Customego HoF Curator
                    • Nov 19, 2003

Phenomenal execution of a really tough figure to make in Mego-style.

Ed, you da MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

That is a wonderfully MEGOesque take on Clayface, huedell! Head sculpt looks great and I love the body suit that incorporates the sludginess of Clayface's body. Pretty much exactly the way MEGO would have done it, IMHO. I also like that you have his blue shorts incorporated into the body suit as a whole; makes the figure flow better, again IMHO. And those big ol' Clayface fists!!!?? SWEETNESS!!!! They match the head paint scheme perfectly (I'm going to presume you painted them at the same time) and I love the way they fit onto the ends of the arms. Really an outstanding custom!!
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I love these resurrections of old threads--it's a great chance to see some wonderful custoMegos again, and I've always considered Ed's work amongst the best.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Classic Mego Clayface I--Bronze-age goodness from (I think) Secret Society of Super-Villains. Great job, Ed.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I love these resurrections of old threads--it's a great chance to see some wonderful custoMegos again, and I've always considered Ed's work amongst the best.
                            and now you've resurrected it twice
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

And I may do so a third time. Post a Clayface and I'll comment on it until FTC's arrives two years from now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎