X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Good toy for toys!

Ditching work early, I dropped by the local TRU this afternoon. I'm happy if I run into one or two new things to look at, but today was a smorgasboard!
    Besides the Iron Man line (which is better covered in another thread) I came across the new Speed Racer line and the Prince Caspian line.

I'm not a big fan of either, but the Speed Racer line looks really well done. I would have picked a bunch up today, but there was no Mach 5 (or 6) scaled to the figures...I know this has to be coming so I'll wait.
    The Caspian line is also really well done, and unlike the last film in the Narnia series, seems to have more adult interest figures (ie knights, etc). The only thing I found confusing is the number of scales used? I counted the same figures done in 3 different scales, put out by the same manufacturer. The scales are all so close together (2-3"/ 3/34" and 5") that it doesnt make any sense. The Shadow Hawks toy line also pulled this recently, coming out with 3 3/4 and 5" figures?

Best news today, I noticed the Indiana Jones Legos were all gone. I asked one if the staff if they sold out already ? Seems they were pulled off the shelves for now, until the other Indy toys show up, and then they are setting up a HUGE section of Indiana Jones items. I asked how soon this will happen and was told "any day now"!

OOPS! The thread title should have been "Good Day for Toys!"
    Last edited by Captain; Mar 29, '08, 12:03 AM.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

I'll have to look for the Speed Racer stuff. What size are the figures?
    It's all good!

Comment

• Cardzilla
      • Nov 25, 2007

I'll have to stop by TRU tomorrow and check them out. Thanks.

By the way, I was at a Border's bookstore during my lunch hour today and noticed a package containing a Racer X mini figure with Shooting Star (1:64 scale). The price tag was $9 I think.

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

The figures are just a tad under 3/34" (like the Mego Treks--close but not quite 33/4").
        They are well sculpted, and decently articulated. Helmets are removeable.
        Best yet,while based on the live action movie, the sculptors were heavily influenced by the cartoon look as well.
        In my TRU they were in the Hot Wheels section (Mattel put out the figures under the Hot Wheels brand).

Cardzilla, was that Shooting Star one of the Johnny Lightning releases, or from the new movie?
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• livnxxxl
          Megoholic RocketScientist
          • Oct 23, 2007

I was lucky enough to find and pick up on some of the new Speed Racer stuff last week. It is some pretty neat stuff. After all Mattel/Hotwheels was behind it so what else would you expect. I seen and bought the HotWheels gift pack, the mid sized version of the Mach 5 and Shooting Star as well as the LARGE Mach 5. I like the LARGE Mach 5 with the movie sounds. Too bad it is still is not big enough for Mego scale though. I hope they make the shooting star in this LARGE version as well. There is all kinds of stuff HotWheels just released for Speed Racer in all different sizes except for MEGO size. There was even some pull back cars that I passed on. Probably should have bought those to. Not sure if this stuff will be really hot or end up every where in mass quantities. Only time will tell I guess. The funny thing of it all is the week before I knew this stuff was even coming out I was kicking around the idea of doing a Racer X Mego custom. How dejavu is that?
          Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Cardzilla
            • Nov 25, 2007

Originally posted by Captain
            The figures are just a tad under 3/34" (like the Mego Treks--close but not quite 33/4").
            They are well sculpted, and decently articulated. Helmets are removeable.
            Best yet,while based on the live action movie, the sculptors were heavily influenced by the cartoon look as well.
            In my TRU they were in the Hot Wheels section (Mattel put out the figures under the Hot Wheels brand).

Cardzilla, was that Shooting Star one of the Johnny Lightning releases, or from the new movie?
            It might have been a Johnny Lightning release. I'm not 100% on it. I'm going to pick one up over the weekend if I can find one at a local Borders. If not, I'll have to pick one up on Monday when I'm at work. I'll let you know...

Comment

• Boris71
              GeekBot' For Life
              • May 13, 2007

Some one told me these were the same size as the mask and eagle force figures, haven't seen them my self yet, but that would be very cool to see that scale out again
              Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

I came across a Large Speed Racer Car at Fredies last week.. The car really looked like you could cram a Mego in it. I needed to bring a mego with me the next time I go back,.. if they have any left.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• livnxxxl
                  • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                  I came across a Large Speed Racer Car at Fredies last week.. The car really looked like you could cram a Mego in it. I needed to bring a mego with me the next time I go back,.. if they have any left.
                  IF the large Mach 5 that you seen is the same as the one I seen and bought it is a bit on the small side compared to Mego scale. So you would literally have to cram a Mego figure in it and even then I do not think that it would fit or look right. I wish that they would make a Mego scale size Mach 5. What is wrong with all of these toy mfg.'s anyway? Why don't they wise up and make things of similar scale to the rest of the best selling toys? It would not be copyright infringement to make a similar scale so long as they do not reproduce anything. I dunno?!?!?! I sure wish that they would come around to my way of thinking though.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                    • Feb 17, 2008

I was at my local Target today and I didn't see anything out, yet. Either I'm very early or very late in looking. Saw a lot of Iron Man stuff.
                    It's all good!

Comment

• livnxxxl
                      • Oct 23, 2007

Mego Batman in the new Mattel HotWheels LARGE Mach 5. Sadly, it just is not happening. Nice car. Why couldn't have Mattel made this a bit bigger?

Last edited by livnxxxl; Mar 30, '08, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Cardzilla
                        • Nov 25, 2007

Originally posted by Cardzilla
                        It might have been a Johnny Lightning release. I'm not 100% on it. I'm going to pick one up over the weekend if I can find one at a local Borders. If not, I'll have to pick one up on Monday when I'm at work. I'll let you know...
                        Stopped by the Borders to have another look at the Shooting Star toy. The price is $7.99. It's from Art Asylum and the package had 2006 manufacturing date on it. Obviously, it had nothing to do with the new Speed Racer movie tie-in. However, the mini Racer X figure and the die-cast car looked pretty cool. Here's an article about it with pictures:

Speed Racer Diecast Figures and Vehicles | Cool Stuff | SCI FI Weekly

Comment

• Cardzilla
                          • Nov 25, 2007

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
                          I was at my local Target today and I didn't see anything out, yet. Either I'm very early or very late in looking. Saw a lot of Iron Man stuff.
                          Where I live, Target didn't put out the Speed Racer toys until Sunday. I'm not sure about Walmart but TRU had them out on Saturday or earlier.

I stopped by a local TRU on Saturday and picked up the following:

1:55 die cast cars from Jada (Mach V, Shooting Star, Prince Kabala and Snake Oiler) for $2.99 each. Very nicely done.
                          1:64 die cast cars from Hot Wheels (Mach V, Mach VI, Shooting Star) for $2.29 each. The same ones can be found at Walmarts for $1.97 each.
                          1:24 Mach V from Jada for $14.99. Target has 1:24 Mach V from Hot Wheels for $25. I haven't spent enough time to figure out the difference yet.

I stopped by a local Target on Sunday and picked up the following:

1:64 die cast 2 Pack Mach V & Racer X from Hot Wheels for $4.99. Contains exclusive ice caves Racer X.
                          1:64 die cast 2 Pack Mach VI & Mach IV from Hot Wheels for $4.99. Contains exclusive Phantom Mach IV.
                          1:64 die cast 3 Pack Chrome Mach IV, V and IV from Hot Wheels for $7.99. These are Target exclusives.

I was somewhat disappointed with the 1:64 Hot Wheels as they contain plastic parts (i.e. top frame of the car). Also, I'm not sure why Target's 1:64 Hot Wheels have a price tag of $2.99. They looked identical to the ones being sold at Walmart and TRU. The only noticeable difference was that the Target's had GP (Grand Prix) logo on the top-right portion of the package.

Has anyone else noticed this ?
                          Last edited by Cardzilla; Apr 1, '08, 2:44 AM.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                            • Feb 17, 2008

The Toys R US had them. I bought for the kids a "Pull Bax" Mach 5 and shooting star. The springs on those don't have too much oomph, so the impromptu ramp that my daughter made didn't work out, but they were having fun.
                            It's all good!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                              The DarkSide Customizer
                              • Apr 16, 2005

I saw a Bunch more of these lastnight at Walmart.
                              I must say,.. All the Toys look rather Impressive. I particularly Like the "Mask" size cars. Neat stuff.
                              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎