X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Custom card making biggest headache for me

is making the curved text needed for the bubbles.

I have never found a satisfactory solution for this. You can curve text in photoshop but it distorts the texts instead of canting each individual letter in an angle (like Mego cards do).

I have also laboriously hand tilted the letters but it never comes out even and the more letters the more headache.

Has anyone ever found a good reproducable way of curving the text with little or no distortion?

mego73@hotmail.com
  • REMOVED
    • May 5, 2024

u need to use Illustrator or Freehand I think.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

When I was making custom boxes and cards I used Corel Draw. It has a command that allows you to align text to follow the arc of a circle or even a wavy line and it tilts each individual letter like Mego cards but keeps the text in a string so you can edit it as needed. Once you did one all you had to do was edit the text to do the others. I love Corel Draw but I haven't used in since the big crash.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by ScottA
        When I was making custom boxes and cards I used Corel Draw. It has a command that allows you to align text to follow the arc of a circle or even a wavy line and it tilts each individual letter like Mego cards but keeps the text in a string so you can edit it as needed. Once you did one all you had to do was edit the text to do the others. I love Corel Draw but I haven't used in since the big crash.

Ypu haven't used it since 1929????

Yes, I do know you really mean your computer crash.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• REMOVED
          • May 5, 2024

you might try looking at tucows or somewhere and seeing if you can find a free or shareware little vector application.... I don't know if such a thing exists but it seems feasible.

Comment

• REMOVED
            • May 5, 2024

I just found this and downloaded it. It is really similar to Illustrator and totally free: Inkscape. Draw Freely.

I downloaded for PC and wish I hadn't just bought Illustrator. It does do text wrapping.................. think it might come in a mac version too.
            Last edited by REMOVED; Mar 27, '08, 8:17 PM.

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

I'll try it out. I'm used to and comfortable with Photoshop. But if this gives me good text bending capability. I can use it just for that and do the rest in PS.
              Last edited by mego73; Mar 27, '08, 9:11 PM.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by polyester
                I just found this and downloaded it. It is really similar to Illustrator and totally free: Inkscape. Draw Freely.

I downloaded for PC and wish I hadn't just bought Illustrator. It does do text wrapping.................. think it might come in a mac version too.

This looks pretty cool I think I might try it out as well....I am a dufuss when it comes to these things but there are some things I would like to create(Not boxes I'll leave that to the pros).
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                  Career Member
                  • May 14, 2007

I do all mine in CorelDRAW too. As good as it is, the best software I've ever used is sign layout software put out by Gerber called Graphix Advantage. It has some killer distortion tools that work on shapes and text. I've got a buddy that's trying to sell his old system to me for about $900. It's a good deal cause the original price was $5000 for the software when he bought it.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎