X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Comic Ad: Battlestar Galactica Free Gold Cylon Promo

I was pretty bummed when I saw this as a kid, mostly because the packaging from my Battlestar Figures had been tossed a good three months before....
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, there were many promotions where I threw out proofs of purchase, and THEN they decide to have a promo. I got to where I saved UPCs off of every toy I got, just in case.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Why, oh why didn't I order one?

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

Remember this vividly but never had the BSG line.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I remember this. It's how I got my Gold Cylon.

Comment

• Timothy2251
            Jerks beef with Ten Bears
            • Mar 15, 2008

Same here, phil. I remember having a couple of Cylons and the Gold Leader as well as the first set of figures. I never got the second set, though I do remember seeing Baltar on a store shelf and passing it by.
            "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Actorman
              Museum Super Collector
              • Oct 4, 2010

I was only 7 years old when this toy line came out but remember thinking that the character choices for the figures was really lame. How could they not make an Apollo figure? Although he and Starbuck were essentially co-leads, Apollo was a bit more the "star" of the show. Plus, their whole "Butch and Sundance"-style buddy relationship drove the majority of the plot lines. It would be like having a C.H.iP.S. figure line with Jon but no Ponch. Or a Dukes of Hazzard line with Bo and not Luke. Made no sense.

Commander Adama sort of made sense to include since he was the leader, but I can't imagine too many kids shouting "I wanna be Adama" when they sat down to play with these. He should definitely have been included, but not to the exclusion of Apollo.

The Ovion and the Imperious Leader were only seen in the pilot so it seems like they should have been a second (or even third) phase character like Walrus Man or Snaggletooth in the Star Wars line.

The Daggit was a minor character, but I get the cutesy, kid-friendly factor so I can understand his inclusion.

It's also a shame that they never made a Viper in scale with these figures. That would have been cool and would likely have boosted the sales quite a bit.

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by Actorman
                I was only 7 years old when this toy line came out but remember thinking that the character choices for the figures was really lame. How could they not make an Apollo figure? Although he and Starbuck were essentially co-leads, Apollo was a bit more the "star" of the show. Plus, their whole "Butch and Sundance"-style buddy relationship drove the majority of the plot lines. It would be like having a C.H.iP.S. figure line with Jon but no Ponch. Or a Dukes of Hazzard line with Bo and not Luke. Made no sense.

Commander Adama sort of made sense to include since he was the leader, but I can't imagine too many kids shouting "I wanna be Adama" when they sat down to play with these. He should definitely have been included, but not to the exclusion of Apollo.
                I saw an interview with Richard Hatch where he said it was his fault there was no Apollo figure, that he wouldn't sign off on it, and then years later he realized he was being silly and came to regret not letting them make it.

Comment

• Actorman
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Oct 4, 2010

Originally posted by Joshua the Atomic Robot
                  I saw an interview with Richard Hatch where he said it was his fault there was no Apollo figure, that he wouldn't sign off on it, and then years later he realized he was being silly and came to regret not letting them make it.
                  Thanks Joshua. That explains everything! It really seemed like a no brainer on Mattel's side, so knowing Hatch was the hold up actually puts it all into perspective. I didn't even think about it being a licensing issue. That just goes to show how forward thinking George Lucas was in this respect. The Star Wars actors all signed away their likenesses for toys and merchandise as part of their contracts to be in the movie(s) which pretty much became the industry standard. I guess Universal didn't think to do that with the Galactica cast up front.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎