Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I really wish FTC had gotten Mego Marvel license!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

Now I really wish FTC had gotten Mego Marvel license!

Have you seen pics posted on EMCE forum today of its Mego 8" Spider-Man set? DISAPPOINTMENT! Modern Spidey costume looks faded and Peter Parker head not as good as prototype and glasses are too BIG! I ordered and paid for 2 Spidey (and Cap) sets and cannot cancel! There's still time to remove my 2 Wolverine sets though!

Now I DO WISH FTC had acquired Mego Marvel license as SUPER JOB FTC has done with DC and Batman TV!

And I was looking forward to what Marvel sets would be at Toy Fair!
  • Teemu
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by ovenmitt
    Have you seen pics posted on EMCE forum today of its Mego 8" Spider-Man set? DISAPPOINTMENT! Modern Spidey costume looks faded and Peter Parker head not as good as prototype and glasses are too BIG! I ordered and paid for 2 Spidey (and Cap) sets and cannot cancel! There's still time to remove my 2 Wolverine sets though!

Now I DO WISH FTC had acquired Mego Marvel license as SUPER JOB FTC has done with DC and Batman TV!

Captain America looks to be the better set and Thor is showing up next month at toyfair.....I wouldn't give up on EMCE...just yet!

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Ovenmitt, don't eat that purchase. Return them for a full refund. Most companies have a return guarantee. Keep them sealed and slap a return label on it.

Comment

• ubermanx
        Career Member
        • Jul 3, 2013

The pictures I have seen ain't great but I will hold out until I see the figure in person.

Part of me is just happy that after all these years there is a lot of product and we are being spoiled. But then again, being spoiled means having alot of choice and expecting a certain level of quality. Even from the same company there are problems. The initial torn arms of the FTC Batman figures, some of the whacky head sizes, etc. But it is hard to argue that TV Batman isn't an amazing 8" figure.

Look at that Neca Taylor figure. I am not wild about the boot design as it isn't retro enough for me but it is a great figure. Top notch paints, great detailed costume. The boots look good and do work. And the price wasn't out of line.

Given how fantastic the EMCE Star Trek and Universal Monsters (the Phantom is brilliant) figures are, perhaps folks are expecting better than what we have had glimpses of so far?

- Marty

Comment

• ovenmitt
          Persistent Member
          • May 26, 2009

Thanks, MIB41 I'll try that!

1st good news today Marvel announcement of NEW Marvel Universe coming out of 2015 Secret Wars event and now this bad news! My 2 Spidey sets were going to be my 45th birthday present Feb. 1! I HAD CIRCLE suit Mego Spidey in 1973 when I was 3!

Guess there's still Hasbro Marvel!

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

At first glance I thought this EMCE-related thread in the FTC section was a bit of "overkill", but then I saw the Spidey-set production pics, and well, I have to say that even though I never thought that EMCE's Marvel choices would be more to my disliking than FTC's with DC, I admit now that EMCE really bit it on this one.

This is my post in the EMCE section:
            "I'm a bit embarrassed because I totally championed these figures (and the whole forthcoming line) on this board & elsewhere once I saw the prototypes for the Spidey set and heard about the concept behind the line and the upcoming sets. I thought that it was a great concept with a great release schedule (in spite of it being more sparse than what FTC was doing with WGSH). If these are indeed the production sets, frankly, it looks like the beginning is the end, here. I don't see how they can redeem themselves from this."

Well, all's bad that starts this bad, I suppose
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Toy Timelord
              Banned
              • Aug 4, 2014

So glad Figures got DC. Really feel bad for Marvel fans. They deserve better than EMCE.

Comment

• jacoblb
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2009

I'm sorry to pile on, I hope I don't come across as shaming EMCE since I am very happy with my Venture, Apes, Trek, and other figures. I would echo sentiment that the cost of the Marvel stuff Diamond/EMCE have coming out are leaving me out of the game. I'd only want the retro Marvel figures anyway, I just they were offered for $25 each. It looks like the Marvel figures are packaged with only ONE body so I hope the heads are durable in order for consumers to pop them off and exchange. Honestly, for me, even if the package had 3 bodies I don't think it'd warrant the cost, but I think a lot of things--not just toys--are over priced and expensive.
                Last edited by jacoblb; Jan 21, '15, 9:04 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• megowgsh
                  Customego HoF Curator
                  • Nov 19, 2003

Does anybody else find it strange that the guy who posted all those pictures received the set on the exact same day it was set to ship? I was informed that shipping was set for Tuesday the 20th (yesterday) and this guy received his on the same day? Either mail in his area in better than "overnight" or he got his some other way. Am I missing something here?

Could it be possible that what he received and is showing is the prototype (either by accident or because he has an "in")? To me if the heads are really resin as was indicated there is a strong possibility that this is a prototype set and not one from the actual production run.

Comments?
                  Last edited by megowgsh; Jan 21, '15, 9:38 AM.
                  Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Vinny0026
                    Year Five!!
                    • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by ovenmitt

Cancel your credit card - they wont be able to bill you
                    "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• Vinny0026
                      Year Five!!
                      • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by jacoblb
                      I'm sorry to pile on, I hope I don't come across as shaming EMCE since I am very happy with my Venture, Apes, Trek, and other figures. I would echo sentiment that the cost of the Marvel stuff Diamond/EMCE have coming out are leaving me out of the game. I'd only want the retro Marvel figures anyway, I just they were offered for $25 each. It looks like the Marvel figures are packaged with only ONE body so I hope the heads are durable in order for consumers to pop them off and exchange. Honestly, for me, even if the package had 3 bodies I don't think it'd warrant the cost, but I think a lot of things--not just toys--are over priced and expensive.
                      you can't blame EMCE for the price point - that was part of the agreement to get the rights. So lets not blame them for stuff out of their control.
                      Maybe they could have made the product different like 3 bodies not just suits? bUt lets be fair - price point was out of their hands.
                      "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• Boxheadman
                        • Jul 24, 2014

I was really disappointed when FTC was not given the license for Marvel. Not nearly as disappointed as they were, but as a retailer REALLY disappointed nonetheless. I have been in the business for 9 years. I have seen big companies like Mattel and Hasbro raise prices every single year while cutting back on quality. FTC has gone the other direction. They keep their wholesale prices low and fair while improving the quality of their product each year. If these EMCE figures do not improve and collectors ultimately reject them, you can bet FTC will be knocking on that Marvel door again. I am going to the best I can as a retailer to continue to throw FTC money so they can pursue other licenses that are mutually beneficial for us. Toycade wants their Mid-change Bruce Banner Exclusive! Or Howard the Duck in KISS Makeup exclusive! Or Ice Man As He Appeared In Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends Exclusive! I could go on and on and on...

Comment

• jayraytee
                          Career Member
                          • May 27, 2011

FTC's quality as of yet is still pretty bad, I hold out hope that they are addressing the issues right now. But I don't see how we can slam EMCE until some people actually have the figures in hand and can review them beyond some odd photo that as megowgsh pointed out was posted by a guy that shouldn't have a set yet.

Once I hold my spidey set in my hand and can compare it to the FTC figures I already have, then I will choose which company I'd rather have had both licenses. If they are equal in quality and sculpts, then it doesn't matter. I mean, if the Peter Parker head isn't exactly right... how many heads have FTC not gotten exactly right? Parker's glasses too big? Put them on FTC's commissioner Gordon's giant noggin and they should fit.
                          Last edited by jayraytee; Jan 21, '15, 10:31 AM.
                          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Teemu
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by jayraytee
                            FTC's quality as of yet is still pretty bad,.
                            EXACTLY! FTC would do no better making Marvel Mego's.FTC bodies are terrible...BUT their redemption are the head sculpts (66 batman) and the outfits...THAT'S IT!!

I dont get the FTC rules now because of this EMCE Spiderman figure (which hardly people have in hand)

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

I think the quality issues have been resolved with FTC bodies. I have 24 figures so far and not a single problem with any of them.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎