• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramsey37
    • Jun 18, 2001

Edison Frankenstein Online!

I stumbled across this link recently:
    Internet Archive: Details: Frankenstein
    This site has the entire 1910 "Frankenstein" silent film archived for viewing. The movie's only twelve minutes long, and marks the very first time that the story of Frankenstein was filmed. The movie was produced by the Edison Studios and stars Charles Stanton Ogle as the Monster. The movie is kinda goofy by today's standards, but is still worth a view. Tell 'em George sent ya
    George
  • Type3Toys
    Home Of The Type3 Body
    • Jan 18, 2005

That was pretty darn cool George!
    LOOK
    Action Figure Design & Prototypes
    For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
    To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

It's a rip of the DVD the late Alois F. Dettlaff (who had the sole remaining copy) released in 2003.

I have the DVD. Bought it years ago. The movie is in surprisingly watchable condition considering its age, somewhat damaged state and Mr Dettlaffs excessive watermarking. It's missing the original intro, inter and end titles but does still have the original color tinting.

Awesome piece of Monster and movie history and we are lucky it still exists at all.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Odd as soon as I read this I knew Dettlaff had to be dead.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I take it this Dettlaff guy hoarded the film for years?

Anyone ever have any luck finding a print of Chaney's "London After Midnight"?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

nice...How cool is that
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I take it this Dettlaff guy hoarded the film for years?
              From what I've read, he didn't even know he had the last surviving print until around 1980 when he became aware that the American Film Institute was listing it as a lost movie.

During his later years he was said to have become very protective (understandably) of the movie and a bit reclusive because he felt his archival efforts had not been fully appreciated and he feared people making money off of his work without fairly compensating him. Because even though he owned the only remaining print, the movie itself was in public domain

The heavily compressed videos floating around various video sites don't really give a fair impression of the condition of the movie. All things considered, it really doesn't look that bad. Like I mentioned earlier, Dettlaff did authorize one DVD release called "Movie's First Monsters Back to Back" under A.D. Ventures. The movie is paired with Nosferatu. Which is from a decent print but missing the color tinting.

There are also various DVR bootlegs floating around of Edison's Frankenstein too since Dettlaff passed away a few years ago. But you'll probably want to avoid those and just get the one Dettlaff released.

After a reportedly exhaustive world wide search no copies have been found. Unfortunately it's gone. The only thing that exists is a still reconstruction authorized by Turner Classic Movies.
              Last edited by Werewolf; Mar 25, '08, 10:13 PM. Reason: typos
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ramsey37
                • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                "London After Midnight" appears to be gone for good. Todd Browning remade the story in 1935 as "Mark of the Vampire" with Bela Lugosi. Luckily, this version survives and is available on DVD.
                George

Comment

• ramsey37
                  • Jun 18, 2001

I used to spend a fair amount of time on some of the silent film boards a few years ago. Detlaff was pretty widely hated by silent film collectors and enthusiasts. The only way to insure the survival of rare films is to make new copies of them, since the original films were made of unstable chemicals that deteriorate over time, and Detlaff was determined to hang onto his copy with both hands to the bitter end. I can understand wanting to protect his investment, but owning a movie that no one else is allowed to see outside of heavily watermarked copies is kinda like having the only copy of the Declaration of Independence or the Mona Lisa and keeping the rest of the world from ever seeing them. Edison's "Frankenstein" is certainly not a masterpiece, but it *is* a unique piece of film history that deserves to be preserved and viewed. It' a sad commentary on Detlaff's life that he died alone and apparently lay undiscovered for about a month. I wonder who has his films now?
                  George

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

That's amazing. I had never seen this version, only some photos.
                    Thanks for the info!
                    I'll look for a decent copy on Ebay!
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Hadn't seen this one yet, thanks very much for sharing. Pretty cool movie for 1910
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• misterdroid
                        Banned
                        • Jan 10, 2008

When I tried to watch it, all I saw were gigantic compression pixels and crisp anachronistic fonts (use period typefaces people, c'mon!)... The soundtrack was nice I guess. Guess I'll have to track down a DVD...

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎