Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTC DC Megos make me miss PRE-CRISIS Earth 1 DC!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

FTC DC Megos make me miss PRE-CRISIS Earth 1 DC!

2015 is DC Comics' 80th anniversary and DC has the upcoming April/May Convergence event exploring the different DC eras- PRE-New 52, 90s, 80s, and PRE-CRISIS! As a longtime DC fan I am looking forward to it!

I turn 45 next month and have had Megos since 1972. Looking at all my FTC DC Megos makes me especially miss the old PRE-CRISIS Earth 1 DC before John Byrne ruined Superman, before Supergirl died, when Dick Grayson was Robin, before Barbara Gordon was shot in Killing Joke, the original Teen Titans before their history was erased in New 52, Shazam was Captain Marvel on Earth S, and you could see most DC characters on TV- Adam West, George Reeves, Super Friends, Shazam, Lynda Carter! Such a simpler happier time before new writers revamped and ruined our childhood heroes!

I hope FTC keeps making classic DC Megos forever and I am curious to see POST-Convergence DC Multiverse!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Byrne ruined Superman? He got me to read it for the first time since I was a kid.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I miss Earth-One, but I personally think there were some good stories and some needed changes after Crisis. I do argue that Crisis wasn't really necessary, despite it being a fantastic series. I think DC lost their identity and their unique take on a fictional universe when they jettisoned the multiverse, and they've been scrambling to find themselves ever since.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

2015 is going to be another great year for DC Licensed product. It's hard to deny we are in the golden years of superhero merchandise.

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

I empathize with you. What I miss about the pre-crisis continuity is Earth 2. But there was a lot of great stuff that came out post crisis. Really more good than bad, but that's obviously subjective. I'm really interested in seeing what FTC does with the 80s Titans figures. If they do sell well, it could open the door to an expansion beyond Justice League/super Friends characters. I'd love to see some JSA, Legion and New Gods figures made, but I know that's pretty far outside the main line.

Heck we've yet to see GL, Flash and Hawkman.

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

I wonder if they have the rights for pre crises jsa charectors like powergirl , earth 2 robin, or golden age hawman(yellow mask) and hawkgirl

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
              2015 is going to be another great year for DC Licensed product. It's hard to deny we are in the golden years of superhero merchandise.
              I would disagree and say that we are post golden years of superhero merchandise. Well, maybe I should specify "toys," and even further, "action figures," rather than merchandise. Besides FTC, who is really putting out any DC Comics figures? There is a glut of Marvel merchandise, but the toy selection is limited (big focus on movies) and lacking.

But I would say that it is the Golden Age for superhero media. Between the movies and television shows being put out, I have never seen anything like it before. From the Big Two, DC is behind Marvel, as usual, but I am enjoying "Arrow" and "The Flash" more than, "Agents of SHIELD," so DC is winning the small screen battle for me. Looking forward to Netflix "Daredevil" though.

The problem is... I don't want any toys from the majority of these properties. But if FTC did somehow get the license for at least the DC TV and movie properties, I would love to see what they could do with them at in this style and scale. The '66 Batman stuff is fantastic and to have a shelf full of ReMego figures from 66' Batman, Reeve's Superman (I'd take Reeves Superman too!), Linda Carter Wonder Woman, Arrow and The Flash -- that's very intriguing!

And affordable. SSC and Hot Toys -- and most 1/6th scale figures -- are just far beyond what I want to spend on a toy, collectible or not. And I can deal with mechanical or construction issues with a toy at $25 a pop. At $200? Not so much. That's why I returned my Hot Toys '66 Batman and Robin figures.

Sorry; I know I was all over the place here!

Comment

• ovenmitt
                Persistent Member
                • May 26, 2009

DC Collectibles still puts out 7" DC figures every month, Sideshow is making 1/6 DC figures, Jakks Pacific 20" DC figures, and Mezco 6" cloth costumed DC figures!

Mattel does not have much left- DC 6" Total Heroes and 4" DC Multiverse. I wish Mattel's DC license had not been renewed.

FTC is my MAIN DC toy company because they brought back Mego WGSH BEST DC figures EVER! And now Batman 66!

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                  DC Collectibles still puts out 7" DC figures every month, Sideshow is making 1/6 DC figures, Jakks Pacific 20" DC figures, and Mezco 6" cloth costumed DC figures!

Mattel does not have much left- DC 6" Total Heroes and 4" DC Multiverse. I wish Mattel's DC license had not been renewed.

FTC is my MAIN DC toy company because they brought back Mego WGSH BEST DC figures EVER! And now Batman 66!
                  All true. I guess I let my preference shadow what is actually out there, which in stores, isn't much, but you did rattle off three lines that are in stores. I only buy one of them though. And outside of that and the Sideshow Batman, it's just FTC DC Comic Repros and ReMegos for me these days.

I will also be 45 later this year. So once Mattel ended DC Universe Classics, FTC became my main source for DC Comics action figures. I like Total Heroes, especially the more classic designed ones like Detective Batman and Bizarro. But nothing in my mind was more fun or ever as good as Mego WGSH. 3-3/4" G.I. Joe:RAH does come a close second for me, even though I was a little older by then.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Mattel taught me that I prefer non-soft-goods action figures over the Megoish stuff out there.

That said, if the Bronze Age stuff is represented in any line, any time, I'm definitely interested. And FTC certainly has my eye more than anyone else.

I grew up with '66 Batman... reveled in the Bronze Age as a kid---but, the DCUC and various DC Direct lines have satiated a lot of my needs in the category that this thread focuses on.... not to mention my many nice rendered Megoesque-customs of top Bronze Age DC villains that no one has done action figures of as of yet (at least in their appropriate Bronze Age costumes).

Personally? FTC will have to keep knocking out character after character before I start cheering loudly about their (admittedly impressive) Pre-Crisis output.

For now, there's just too many other Pre-Crisis figures out there to nab (if only ones that were released a year, to ten years ago), not to mention DC Collectibles new Animated Series Batman line, a DC line which (altho' not pre-Crisis) I'm "all in" for, and a line that I think will lead to the rest of the DCAU being rendered into 6-inch scale... that'll keep me pretty busy itself!
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

There are only two DC titles I care for in the DCnU. Aquaman (Aquaman & The Others) and Justice League Dark. The thing is both of those could have fit into the old universe. I really miss the Yearly meeting of JLA & JSA.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

the two I followed via trades got canned, Frankenstein and OMAC.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Vinny0026
                          Year Five!!
                          • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by wise guy
                          I wonder if they have the rights for pre crises jsa charectors like powergirl , earth 2 robin, or golden age hawman(yellow mask) and hawkgirl
                          It is my understanding that they pretty much have the rights to any DC character from the comics.
                          where it gets muddy or what they dont have is likness rights (like L. Carter as wonderwoman) but pretty sure they are clear to make her any way they want from the comic book styles.

So they can make batman mego style and comic book styles - but they cant make him Batman verse Superman style

Not saying this is fact but that is pretty much my understanding.
                          "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• wise guy
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 29, 2014

I hope they someday make Earth 3 Ultraman and Owlman from any version of the Crime Syndicate of America( new or pre crisis)

Comment

• Type Two
                              Career Member
                              • Sep 20, 2010

Originally posted by wise guy
                              I hope they someday make Earth 3 Ultraman and Owlman from any version of the Crime Syndicate of America( new or pre crisis)
                              They probably will! It's weird how many figures have been made of the Crime Syndicate over the years. Probably just as many figures as comic appearances by them!
                              Type Two: The Mego body, not the disease.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎